My first attempt at yeast washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrundleCruncher

Reaction score
I took some pictures, but this website is trying to extort money out of an already broke college student.

I followed the standard procedure, I collected all the gunk at the bottom of the bucket and put it in a gallon apple juice jug.
I let that sit at room temp for a while then poured the liquid into three jars.
The jars sat in the fridge until I saw two layers form, I poured the top layer into more jars and put them in the fridge until everything settled out.
I then took the liquid off the top and replaced it with clean water.

But today there is a still a distinct layer of lighter material on top of darker material, and theres a lot more dark material.
Is this mostly trub that I have? Where could I have gone wrong?

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Take the top layer off again, bottle it and label it. It should be fine, imho.

Jaded is exactly right. Plus, I made the mistake of leaving too much trub when I bottled. I opened those bottles to use the year a month or so later, and it was like a slop cannon. It was a disaster - shot stuff all over my kitchen.

I learned my lesson from that one. I typicaly wash 4+ times.

Back