New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Extract - my first attempt at a custom recipe: a sorta DogFish Head India Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Default Extract - my first attempt at a custom recipe: a sorta DogFish Head India Brown Ale

okay -- here's my first attempt at a somewhat custom recipe. Me and Brew_MU are gonna try a DogFish Head India Brown Ale copy (based on Calagione's book and some threads on this wonderful site); but with a few modifications (mainly because AHS doesn't have british amber malt). Let me know what you all think (will Munich work? too much hops?), and I'll post more details as it ferments.....

all ingredients from AHS as we don't have a LHBS in Pinetop

Grains
12 oz. Munich Malt
10 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. chocolate malt
2 oz. black roasted barley

Extract
7 lbs. light DME

Hops
1 oz. Warrior (60 min.)
1 oz. Vanguard (20 min.)
1 oz. Vanguard (5 min.)

Other
8 oz. dark brown sugar (10 min.)

Yeast
Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale Yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

The brew is in the primary....

the OG was 1.060

a couple of things I learned:

1) this was my first time using 100% DME (usually use LME). It clumped up pretty good and foamed like crazy. Is this normal?

2) the Wyeat 1187 never swelled up. I was worried that it might not bloom so I added some dry ale yeast (I figure with an OG of 1.060, some extra yeast wouldn't be bad).

We tasted it and I think it will make a nice hybrid brown/IPA type ale...

Old 06-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FWIW, BYO lists the grain bill for this as: Pilsner, Flaked Maize, Amber malt, Crystal 60, Coffee malt, Roasted Barley, Brown Sugar
For extract: Light DME, Light LME & brewers corn syrup for partial sub of some base pils and the flaked maize

The hop sched:
Warrior-60
Golding-10
Liberty-0
Goldings-dry
Libery-dry

yeast - WLP005

my 2 cents: I typically hold off on posting recipes to the recipe section till it's been sampled in the bottle and I know it's a winner.

Last edited by brewt00l; 06-23-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
my 2 cents: I typically hold off on posting recipes to the recipe section till it's been sampled in the bottle and I know it's a winner.
good advice; thx -- I guess I got too excited! I'll post it when it turns out grrrrreat!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Keep a very close eye on your ferment.

Ringwood is a very petulant yeast, wanting to flocculate before the job is done. It's one of those ultra-traditional British yeasts meant to be conscientiously managed and manipulated. It likes to be roused, moved and nagged. In my experience Ringwood only works well in an "open" fermenter like an Ale Pail; carboys prevent the brewer from performing those tasks Ringwood expects.

Most importantly, if it poops out six points over your desired FG, there's really nothing you can do. So you've got to stay on top of it. Commercial, traditional breweries have paid staff to do this; you're going to have to do it in your spare time.

Some Tips on Dealing With Ringwood:

1. Use another yeast.

2. Watch the krauesen; when it starts to fall, take a gravity sample. If it's at something like 50% attenuation, you'll need to rouse the yeast from time to time. Use a sanitized plastic spoon to get the yeast off the bottom of the fermenter and back into solution.

3. Give it a long diacetyl rest at the end of primary fermentation. Ringwood throws a surfeit of diacetyl which will make your beer taste like butterscotch if the precursors aren't reduced. Thankfully, Ringwood will clean up its own mess (for the most part).

That's about it for the basics. Please don't be frightened by me or by Ringwood; it's a fabulous yeast that gives the brewer things no other strain can give. You just need to make the decision to use it with open eyes and a full education.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
balto charlie

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Hey Here's a recipe given to me from Roaringbrewer. it was really close. I did not use ringwood yeast. It took a long time to smooth out. I drank half of it before it was "great". I believe it was 3 months conditioning. Charlie

This is from Sam Calagione's (DFH founder) book. It's extract, but I'm sure you can convert to AG if you'd like:

10oz British amber malt
10oz Crystal 60L
8oz Chocolate malt
2oz roasted barley
Steep all of this at 150F for 30 minutes

Add 7lb Light DME
8oz Dark Brown sugar

1/2oz Warrior Hops for 60 Minutes
1oz Vanguard Hops at Flameout

Ringwood Ale Yeast/Wyeast 1187

This is of course for a full boil of 6g. Never brewed the recipe but its from DFH themselves. One of my favorite browns too and probably my favorite DFH beer.

EDIT: Not sure why they would put a different recipe in the book than what it is (per the bottle), but its possible its just to protect their trade secret. You could brew the same recipe basically but using the hops you noted (obviously bumped up b/c they are lower AA) and carmelizing the brown sugar, if it makes you feel better.

EDIT2: Upon further inspection and thought, the boiling addition probably doesn't make a huge difference, since all you are getting from it is bittering. They could possibly use this in the clone since its cheaper for the HB and you might not notice a difference (its 15%AA compared to Liberty around 5.5%... thus 3x more hops would need to be used to bitter). The Vanguard at the end is a 5.5%AA hop similar to Hallarteau, but you could easily swap this out for an oz. of goldings...

Primary
On Deck Red IPA, Pale ale, ESB

Old 06-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Keep a very close eye on your ferment.

That's about it for the basics. Please don't be frightened by me or by Ringwood; it's a fabulous yeast that gives the brewer things no other strain can give. You just need to make the decision to use it with open eyes and a full education.

Cheers,

Bob
Thanks Bob,

we had a near blow-out this morning in our primary pail (krausen coming out of the air lock. A blow out tube has been rigged, and we'll take a reading once it goes down. Me thinks I'll be sticking with dry yeast for awhile!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Hey Here's a recipe given to me from Roaringbrewer. it was really close. I did not use ringwood yeast. It took a long time to smooth out. I drank half of it before it was "great". I believe it was 3 months conditioning. Charlie
thx Charlie, I found that recipe from a search on here...

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Brew_MU
Recipes 

Yep that was exciting this morning! Albeit I have only been brewing for three years with extract kits only but that is the first time we have ever had a blow out! The dry yeast Jeremy used was really going hard and fast in the glass beaker that I had it in proofing (without sugar) just 30 minutes prior to adding it to the wort. I suspect both it and the Ringwood are both working now. We used BrewVint yeast booster as well!

I used about 3 feet of 3/8" inside dia tubing out to a gallon bucket with santized water in it. Ya think this will suffice as a blow tube set up?

At least we know it will have alcohol! LOL

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Brew_MU's blow tube seems to be working nicely, and once the crazy activity subsides, we'll take a reading and possibly rouse the yeast as suggested by Bob.

I'll try to get some pictures up of Brew_MU's rigged-up blow tube...

Quick Reply