Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My First AG Brew, a success??????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Forrest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of December :(
Default My First AG Brew, a success??????

About amonth ago, I got some very good advice from everyone on these forums and leaped head first into All Grain Brewing. Up until now, I thought it was a huge success being that I achieved high efficency. I used a reciepe that I created for a Rye Stout. About two weeks after it was bottled, I tasted it for teh first time. It had a very dry grain character which I assosiated with the Rye and a little bitterness from the dark roasted grains. I did not put a whole lot of hops in it in anticipation of this. I figured it was going to be very good once it matured. But I tasted of it again last night as I figured it should have matured by now. The very dry grain character is still there but now there is a very strange off flavor to the beer. It doesn't taiste like a bacterial or wild yeast contamination, it seems to be in the forfront of the beer, in the grain character. I have never experienced anything to compare it too and I lack the vocabulary to discribe it properly but I really don't like it.

Could this be the Rye favor I am experiencing? I have only had one Rye beer before to compare the flavor too, and that was Terripin's Rye Pale Ale (out of Athens GA) It didn't have much flavor at all but it did not have this flavor that I am experiencing. I really love Rye Bread and I had hoped that the Rye would give a simular Rye Bread like flavor to the beer. I am putting my receipe below. What could this flavor be?

Thanks in avance.

8 lbs Belgian Pale Malt (this was a misshipment by my supplier so I used it anyway)
1 lb Rye Malt
12 oz Cara-Rye
10 oz 90 lv Crystal Malt
10 oz Chocolate Rye Malt
8 oz Black Patient Malt
8 oz Black Barley
1 oz East Kent Golding Hops (60 min boil)
1 oz Fuggles Hops (30 min) boil)
1 oz Williamette Hops (5 min) boil
1 T Irish Moss

Alcohol, the cause of and solution too all of lifes problems - Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Without giving us a description it will be hard to diagnose. Can oyu go on howtobrew.com towards the end and describe the off-flavors that he mentions? Then we might be able to narrow down a cause.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I think it is the rye, I also created a rye beer that has an "off" flavor like you said, something I've never experienced before. I like it though, its not my favorite, but its good. Maybe its just not your taste?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Forrest
Recipes 

Location: Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of December :(

I went to howtobrew.com and looked at the off flavors section. None of those flavors really matched the flavor I am experiencing. However, I did open another one of the beers and taisted it just to refresh my memory as to the off flavor and it tasted great!!!!!!!!! That off flavor doesn't appear to be in this bottle. The only difference to last night is the beer I tried last night was slightly chilled. The one I just tried was at room temp. If I had to discribe the flavor based on the off flavors section of howtobrew. I would say that it was kind of grainy I guess. I can't imagine why one to would good and other bad just a day apart though.

Alcohol, the cause of and solution too all of lifes problems - Homer Simpson

Quick Reply