Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My ESB Bitter - 2nd AG attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
SkiNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with inhousebrew, do something simple and then add from there. I'm actually going back to the drawing board and doing a single hopped ESB with all Northdown and plan to add/sub hops afterwards. However, all EKG is always a great hop schedule for an English ale.

Despite my advice for going simple to start, here are some comments on your latest revision. I did a lot of research on Brewer's Gold hops about a month ago (supposed to be very similar to Bullion), and found that most people suggested a longer boil for them. They said they didn't like them late in the boil and that the longer you boiled them the more they liked them. I'm torn between suggesting moving the Bullion addition back in the boil or saying try it and report back . Also, I personally wouldn't "waste" the EKGs for a 60min addition they are just too good for that, if your mixing different hops for each addition I would use something like Target or Challenger and save the EKGs for later in the boil (unless you are going for something specific with that addition).

Good luck on the brew day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiNuke View Post
I would use something like Target or Challenger and save the EKGs for later in the boil (unless you are going for something specific with that addition).
I was actually going to bitter with Challenger but Northern Brewer was out of them so I switched to EKG. Luckily I snagged the last two EKG hop bags

I hate Walder Frey...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

So, brewing version 2 on Monday. The first attempt came out decent, drinkable and in fact is about gone now. It had a pretty distinctively bitter bite late on the tastebuds that I want to try to resolve, also looking for more malt bitterness as opposed to Hop bitter.

I was out eating dinner last night and I came a crossed a new homebrew store, one that is actually closer than the one I had been going to Score! So I went ahead and bought my ingredients. Well not having my list with me I went from memory (with adjustments in mind) and actually got the wrong base grain (2 row pale instead of marris otter) and they didnt carry wyeast so i subbed the 1968 for White Labs 002. I also upped the biscuit hoping for a more malt / biscuit taste.

Version 2.0 Recipe

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.3 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - First Wor Hop 5 18.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 6 12.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 8 3.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
5.00 gal Durham, NC Water 1 -
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 83.7 %