The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is my beer ruined? Frozen raspberries smell like crap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
mcjake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is my beer ruined? Frozen raspberries smell like crap

I'm making a raspberry wheat and figured that I could save money and buy frozen raspberries instead of fresh for the fruit addition. I added them to secondary today and let me tell you, they smell awful. I used two different brands, from two different stores. So it's not like I got a bad batch. It just seems that frozen raspberries smell gross. I threw them in anyways because I didnt want to spend any money or time. Is my beer ruined? Has anyone else experianced this? I know raspberries can have a weird off flavor or smell sometimes. But damn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
BrewCityBeerBuffs
brewcitybeerbuffs.com
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I freeze fresh raspberries all the time, and have used frozen store ones for deserts all the time. Did they smell when you opened the package? did you let them thaw first? A little more info is needed

"A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure."

"The government will fall that raises the price of beer."

Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
mcjake
Recipes 

I let them thaw. And all three packages (2 from different stores and brands), smelled the same when I opened them. I don't think they went bad. I know sometimes raspberries have a strange smell to them. I'm just worried they are going to make the beer taste like crap.

Quick Reply