New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My beef with Brewing Classic Styles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default My beef with Brewing Classic Styles

I completely understand that the book idea started with Palmer wanting to make a recipe book geared toward extract brewing. It's probably the reason the format ended up like it did. However, it's really offputting that all grain versions of the recipes are treated like afterthoughts.

First, the primary recipe is assumed to be extract and instead of duplicating the whole thing, or at least the fermentables list, it uses a somewhat cryptic "replace this with that" for the all grain option. What's worse is that the extract and steeping grains list also includes its relative percentages but you don't get that in the dumbed down all grain portion.

I fully acknowledge that there are probably more extract brewers than all grain, but this isn't the kind of thing that encourages growing in the hobby either. If they're Jamil's recipes, that means they actually had to convert them to accomodate extract. It just seems backwards.

</rant>

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It can be annoying and hard to open the book and just look at an all grain recipe. I have, for the most part, put all the recipes into my brewing software (BeerAlchemy) and just open that to look at the recipe.

But, I think it was a good move to make it as simple as possible for the extract brewer so a brewer at any stage or level of experience can open it and figure the recipe out. I guess the figured the all grain brewers have seen recipes and can figure it out.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think the book is excellent and you are right it is geared more towards extract. I would imagine they thought all grain brewers would have no problem replacing this for that. I have not had any problems using his book in fact have won many first and second place medals using JZ/Palmers book.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 10-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I love his PA book! As for the recipes I always cringe at all the white sugar additions. I made a few of the recipes and they came out ok but just like every recipe I take them with a grain of salt (or one gram of calcium sulfate dihydrate)

edit: just realized I was thinking of the recipes from Brew your own Brirish real ale that has the white sugar additons.

Last edited by TeleTwanger; 10-04-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
vapor2020
Recipes 

Yeah, The Clonebrew books are the same way. I pretty much need to rewrite the recipes for all-grain with a calculator in hand. It's worth it, though.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made the cream ale on that book and it turned out great

Old 10-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I think he specifically made the beer very extract-friendly, both because he figured most AG brewers can figure it out (and will have to adjust for their systems and efficiencies anyway) - but more importantly since books like Designing Great Beers are very much focused on the AG brewer. I think he saw a niche in the market, for a recipe book that would be specifically focused on extract.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bought the book yesterday. I don't mind reading the footnotes for the rest of the grain bill.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 10-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm not saying that I'm incapable of getting it done, but I think a small list of the entire grainbill for the all grain version would have been a nicer way of going just like Radical Brewing does it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 10-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Aren't the recipes in the book the exact same ones from his podcasts? Or is there additional stuff in the book?

Here is a link to a bunch of Jamil's recipes, for those that don't want to shell out for the book. (Jamil has mentioned this site on his show so he's cool with these being posted on this site):

Jamil's Recipes

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Quick Reply