New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My 1st Bavarian Hefeweizen - questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I think my ambient temp in the basement is 66ish at the moment and I can alsy cool a carboy 5 degrees.

The question is what temp will give me the perfect bland of flavors.

Warmer = banana?
Cooler = coves?
In addition to what DB said, pitch rate and aeration also play a role in the ester/phenolic profile the yeast provide. There was an article somewhere regarding pitch rates and a tasting panel preferred the German Weizen that was under-pitched (with other yeasts/beers they usually preferred brews made with 'recommended' pitch rates). I recently made one on a washed cake so I probably over-pitched it and while it's good...it's not as good as the Weizen that made that cake.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply