New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mushroom/Pepper Smoked Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #21
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I ended up waiting an extra week to bottle (bottled on 8/15). My live in lady friend said I wasn't allowed to bottle the week prior. Something about us getting married last weekend.

The beer was still at 1.013, and tasted pretty good for the time it had sat in the carboy. Bottling went off with out a hitch. I wanted to see what this smoked porter tasted like without pairing it with the mushroom pepper extract I'd made, so I bottled 4 22ozers separate. Otherwise I took a 1 cup sample of the beer and added a tsp of the extract to it to gauge how much I should add to the remaining beer. I came up with about 1/2 cup for the 4.5 gallons that remained. It tasted ok, but I'm interested to see how it pans out after some aging.

I'll give another update around September 1st when I plan to open my first tester, then again around the 15th.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How did the mushroom flavor come through? Did the pepper blend in with everything or mask some of the other flavors? I suspect that the pepper would be a bit strong initially but should mellow out over a couple months.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #23
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesst View Post
How did the mushroom flavor come through? Did the pepper blend in with everything or mask some of the other flavors? I suspect that the pepper would be a bit strong initially but should mellow out over a couple months.
Hard for me to tell right now. In my sample, it was there but yes I got more of the pink pepper. It was close to a cinnamon/fruity flavor and smell. I think the cinnamon flavor might be a byproduct of using Everclear for the extract. I might use vodka next time to lessen the antiseptic sting. There was some buttery beefy taste to it as well. When I was bottling I could definitely smell the extract. It's an odd pairing, but I think after 4 weeks or so it's really going to mellow out and compliment the smoke. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress. If it's any good I could probably arrange to swap a brew if you're interested.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm overdue for an update here. The porter is turning out well. I'm still not getting a lot of mushroom flavor out of it. The pepper is really apparent in the smell and aftertaste but all in all it pairs nicely with the smoke and isn't unpleasant. More time is needed to see how it ages. So far though, it goes great with a steak. Extremely refreshing when served ice cold with red meat. Honest to god. I had no expectations for this, so I'm pretty surprised.

In the future I'm going to cut down the amount of pink pepper I used by a half...maybe even a quarter. I'll also probably use black trumpets next time...they're easier for me to get for free.

Quick Reply