Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mushroom/Pepper Smoked Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm working on a modified version of this recipie with a few changes. I'm looking to tone down the hops and roastiness a bit so that more mallt and mushroom will come through. This is what I have so far:

6# Belgian 2-Row
3# Smoked Malt
3# Munich
1# Flaked Barley
0.75# Crystal 60
0.5# Special B
0.5# Carapils
7oz Carafa II
Mash with 1.5# morrel mushrooms

0.5 oz 15% Warrior @60
0.5 oz 6.1% Mt. Hood @30
0.5 oz 6.1% Mt. Hood @15
2 tsp Pink Peppercorns, Cracked @15

I'll reduce a mushroom broth to a cup and boil it with some lemon juice, peppercorns, and sage, and rack over that into secondary.

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Let me know how it turns out. I hadn't really thought of boiling the hops and pepper, would be interested in seeing how that works.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

FYI - The pink peppercorn is a berry and not a true peppercorn. They originated in Peru, where they had a heavy influence on the local cuisine and culture. Pink peppercorn "chicha" beer was a trademark of the Amazon forest-based Wari tribe.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
FYI - The pink peppercorn is a berry and not a true peppercorn. They originated in Peru, where they had a heavy influence on the local cuisine and culture. Pink peppercorn "chicha" beer was a trademark of the Amazon forest-based Wari tribe.
I was waiting for someone to point this out . It's like how they label that crap in the stores as cinnamon...but it's not cinnamon usually...it's cassia or something.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

I made a chanterelle wee heavy that was very well received at NHC. I used 2 lb. of chanterelles in 5 gal. I just added them straight to the secondary. In. previous batch I had tried the vodka tincture, but I didn't care for the heat the alcohol added.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm starting to worry about how the flavor of the mushrooms will meld with the special b. Well, at least with the pepper spiceiness and the hint of lemon I'm hoping to get from my version. Looking through out copy of The Flavor Bible it sounds like porcini mushrooms might be a better fit for my recipie. They match this malty beer in sweetness, and pair well with coffee, pepper, lemon, and sage.

I might have to do a tiny mash in my french press and see what I come up with.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The flavor extract I'm making smells like it's pair alright. I'm getting a spicy berryish meatiness from the pink pepper and morels. It's going to be a slightly sweet, spicy and a little bit of an earthy edition. I really think it's going to turn out OK with the smoke.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Everything I'm reading is telling me that once I rehydrate mushrooms they will approximately quadruple in weight. That is more than fine with me since porcinis are so expensive. What's got me worried is that every site I read says that rehydrated mushrooms (especially Morrels, OP) pack a stronger flavor punch than fresh ones, and it's got me doubting the volume I'm putting in this recipie.

The plan was to halve all my ingredients and make a 2.5 gallon batch to dial in the flavors. So I'd rehydrate 3oz of shrooms to get 12oz for the mash. The I'd put the broth from reconstituting in my pressure cooker and can it for use in secondary. I can always taste a sample before I add any of the broth to see if the flavor is already strong enough, but if the dried mushrooms are considerably more powerful than fresh the beer could be easily over powered.

Anyone have much experience with dried mushrooms and care to chime in?

Porcini Porter half batch recipie:
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.019
IBU: 35
SRM: 29
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite @61°

3# Belgian Pale
2# Munich
1.5# Smoked Malt
0.5# Vienna
0.375# Carawheat
0.25# Carafa II
0.75# Porcini Mushrooms

0.3oz 15% Warrior @60
0.3oz 6.1% Mt. Hood @30
1tsp Pink Peppercorns, cracked @15
0.25oz Sage Leaves, scored @10

When moving to secondary boil mushroom broth, adding 0.25oz sage, 2tsp lemon juice, and 1tsp peppercorns @5 min. Cool the mixture and rack over it into the carboy.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Everything's working out great with this brew so far. It attenuated fantastically down to 1.013, and I put it into a carboy to age on 7/22. The sample I took for my hydrometer reading tasted great. The smoke was there, and it was just right. The hop additions also added an excellent flavor and aroma, it's not overly bitter at all. I think I might use Warrior and Simcoe some more, they were great.

The mushroom/pepper extract on the other hand is turning out ok. I think I may have overdone the amount of pink peppercorns. It's an interesting flavor, but not sure it's going to pair as well as I'm hoping. The pink peppercorns have given a great flavor but it starts with an almost cinnamon like flavor, finishing with a fruity peppery meaty flavor. The cinnamon isn't what I'm hoping for. I do have extra morels, so I may just make up some additional extract with just the mushrooms. Then I can balance out the extract maybe.

Either way, the extract means I don't have to add the flavor to the entire brew.

Quick Reply