*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mushroom/Pepper Smoked Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Mushroom/Pepper Smoked Porter

Working on what I can best describe as Baltic Porter (with too many IBUs). Going to try making a flavor extract, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts, tips or opinions. This will also be my FIRST all grain batch.

8lbs Briess American 2-row
3lbs Smoked Malt (20% of the grains so that's "noticeably" smokey I've read)
16oz Caramel 60L
8oz Caramel 120L
8oz Black Patent Malt
8oz Special B
8oz Carapils (head retention)
16oz Flaked Barley (creaminess, head retention)

15AAUs Warrior Pellets (60 minutes)
9AAUs Simcoe Pellets (half at 30 minutes half at 10 minutes left)

WLP060 Yeast (will probably use a starter and let it sit over night)

Flavor extract
1.5 cups Vodka
1Tbsp Pink Peppercorns
1/2cup morel mushrooms

Soak peppercorns and morels in vodka for 7-10 days, shaking the jar every few days. Add 1 cup of extract to 5 gallons (I might test the effect of adding this 1/4cup at a time to get the right amount).

Estimating these
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.020
ABV: 7-8%
IBU: 55-60

Going to do a single infusion and try out the batch sparging technique. 1.25qt/gallon of water. Mash at 152F. I'll make up the difference by splitting up the needed sparge water. Sparge with half of the water, sparge with the other half.

7 days in primary, 7 days in secondary. Add extract at bottling time. Age in bottles for 4 weeks. Just in time for September.

Story behind this beer. I'm a member of a Dungeons and Dragons podcast. One of our party, a Drow, enjoys drinking a psychedelic mushroom beer. So, I'm making this mushroom beer for him. I think it'd taste best in a smoked porter. I'm also using an unusual amount of bitterness. I figure in the game world, this beer has to travel. So I'm using them for "preservation".

Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
drevilz4l
Recipes 

This sounds very good to me. I really want to know what kind of flavor the Mushroom's impart on this.

Up next - Flemish Red Ale
Kegged - Empty :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I kind of doubt the flavor of the mushrooms will survive, but it is an interesting idea. If you extract much I am guessing it is going to get lost with all the other flavors. Hopefully I am wrong.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I would recommend "dry-shrooming" with dehydrated mushrooms rather than a vodka extract. They are much stronger flavored than a fresh one. Asian markets carry them. If you can't find them, use the fresh ones, but leave them in the fridge until they appear wet and a bit beyond tasty looking. That also enhances the flavor. I'd leave out the pepper, or add later after tasting the pre-carbed beer.

And cook up those soggy, spent shrooms once racked off them, of course!

If the IBUs were kept low to non-existant, it would be good for cooking. A dark ale like yours wouldn't need the hops for preservation.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

adding fungus to your beer on purpose?

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I would recommend "dry-shrooming" with dehydrated mushrooms rather than a vodka extract. They are much stronger flavored than a fresh one. Asian markets carry them. If you can't find them, use the fresh ones, but leave them in the fridge until they appear wet and a bit beyond tasty looking. That also enhances the flavor. I'd leave out the pepper, or add later after tasting the pre-carbed beer.

And cook up those soggy, spent shrooms once racked off them, of course!

If the IBUs were kept low to non-existant, it would be good for cooking. A dark ale like yours wouldn't need the hops for preservation.
not using th vodka to sanatise them would concern me with what bugs maybe lurking in them. Could end up with an interesting sour I guess.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I figure the 7-8% ABV should be able ward anything off. I was assuming adding them in secondary. Could add them in the boil too.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
doctorgonzo79
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

chef response here.
there is such a thing as mushroom essence.
fresh mushrooms basically made in to a stock and reduced to a small ammount of really aromatic (and potent) liquid. the heat would destroy any bacteria or other organisms, spores etc..
i would add it to the secondary conditioning phase personaly.
drink two of these and the gelationous cube you ran across in that dungeon will seem awfully real

Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I would recommend "dry-shrooming" with dehydrated mushrooms rather than a vodka extract.
I'll be using dried morels to make the extract. You think it'd give me a better flavor if I just threw the dried mushrooms into the secondary instead of using a high proof alcohol to extract? Might be an interesting idea. As someone else mentioned, I'm concerned about infection in that case but this will be a higher ABV beer so maybe it's not a problem.

I think I'll stick with what I know and try making the extract. Some variations I'll try when I redo the recipe will be to try adding them during the secondary, and to maybe try adding them during the boil instead.

Might also take some of the other advice on lowering the IBUs (since a Porter would be dark/alcoholic enough to not need extra hops as a preservative). I'll consult the people I'm brewing with. Perhaps I'll bring it down into the range a Baltic Porter oughta be.

Brew day set for July 7, I'll provide some updates along the way like I did with my smoked wheat beer.

Last edited by sidepart; 06-25-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brew day went off without a hitch. I'll post some more info in the morning. Right now the porter is fermenting happily at 73F. I ended up recalculating the OG and FG's by hand because I didn't really trust the BeerSmith software I was using as a guide. Instead I planned on an OG of 1.066 based on a mash efficiency of 73%. We managed to hit 1.063, which was honestly delightful (all things considered). We hit an efficiency of 70%. Room for improvement to be sure, but considering it's my third brew and my first all-grain batch...I'll call it a victory for now.

Extract is currently being made. I threw some morels in with pepper and 1.25cu of grain alcohol. Smells great already, kind of meaty and a little fruity (pink peppercorns). Depending upon how it turns out, I might only add the extract to half of the porter during bottling. We'll see.

That wort is mighty tasty, I think it's going to be a fantastic porter even without the mushroom/pepper extract.

Quick Reply