Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > <- mushroom grower looking for spent grain in the Manchester CT area

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Willsolvem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default <- mushroom grower looking for spent grain in the Manchester CT area

Looking for a brewer in the Manchester CT area to take your spent barley, malted ok, I can't use hops but will take them if its a condition for the wort but they must be separate, I use the grain to cultivate gourmet mushrooms if you are interested in a trade (?) Pm me if you are interested. I'm looking for someone brewing about once a month. My friend has fallen on hard times and no longer brews but recommended I try this site. Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Willsolvem
Recipes 

To clarify BEFORE you pm me, the mushrooms strains I grow are Pink and white oyster, Morels, and Rishi, only trading white oysters one pound per 5 gallon bucket, and must be in the Manchester, CT area I drive a large truck, so its cheaper to buy wheat than drive 30 minutes each way, thank you guys in the responses, pm me if you have Q's on mushroom cultivation I'll be happy to answer them

Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

OMG, another highly technical, involved, semi-sterile hobby for the obssessive-compulsive. ROFL. I have to try this. I SO wish I lived near Manchester.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Since hops are a natural anti-bacterial, it seems like they'd be good in the grain even though you sterilize it anyway. Do hops inhibit growth, or do they add an off-flavor?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Willsolvem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell
Since hops are a natural anti-bacterial, it seems like they'd be good in the grain even though you sterilize it anyway. Do hops inhibit growth, or do they add an off-flavor?
Just so I understand your question, your asking why mushroom mycelium (mold) won't grow on a antibacterial substrate? Lmao yea they inhibit the growth of mycilum of every known saprophytic strain (mushroom making mold) on earth

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Willsolvem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell
OMG, another highly technical, involved, semi-sterile hobby for the obssessive-compulsive. ROFL. I have to try this. I SO wish I lived near Manchester.
Try super-sterile, autoclaves and lamanar flow hoods are minimum required equipment in the industry, outdoor cultivation would be considered "semi-sterile" but only after inoculation if the bulk substrate

Old 07-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Willsolvem
Recipes 

Growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms by paul stamets is a great place to start for cultivation information, the Shroomery.org forum site is great too (I have the same user name there) but most topics there are posted with the understanding you have already read this or comparable books and is more for advanced mycology, I suggest a good field guide on finding wild mushrooms, chanterelles a widely sought mushroom only grows in the wild, it cannot be cultivated because like truffles (the most expensive culinary ingredient in the world) they are mycorrizhal, needing a alkaline (8ph or higher) tree root system as a host, truffles currently sell for $30usd per ounce, $480 per pound!!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Willsolvem
Recipes 

FYI: I use the grain as a additive for the mushroom substrate for its texture and simple carbohydrates. You CANNOT fruit mushrooms off spent grains alone, the brewing process strips the already cracked grain of most if its nutriance, has anyone left spent grain outside and find it grew mushrooms? You can use the spent grain as spawn, a way of talking mycilum (mushroom mold) and dispersing it in a bulk substrate (which differs from strain to strain). The only mushroom to be cultivated from spent gains (which are soaked in composting tea to supply nutriance back to the grain) are pscilocybe cubensis (magic mushrooms) which are illegal to cultivate in the states without a permit.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Ah, ok, I guess I didn't equate mushrooms with mold. But I see now that trying to grow mold in hops would be pretty dumb.
Thanks for the references, if SWMBO doesn't totally freak, I might try this.
I understand you can't fruit in spent grain alone, but do you have to fortify the grain to spawn? What I read suggests using other grains, but not barley, and certainly not spent barley.
Oh boy, think of the money I'm going to save using my spent grains and used coffee grounds this way. SWMBO will be impressed. Now where do I order a laminar flow hood and autoclave? Hahahahahahahahahahah.
Seriously, I want to try this.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Timely post! I recently have turned over this leaf as a more productive way to use the spent grains from brewing and not make my backyard smell like death and look like a fly-breeding ground from dumping piles of spent grains around trees...still no shrooms for me, though.

A friend had some dowel spawn to inoculate logs, which I tried and am waiting patiently for nothing so far from the logs...but I used some remaining dowels and some used coffee grounds to build up some more spawn which I pitched into a kitchen trash bag full of spent grain from a recent batch. I clearly didn't read enough on the process (more of a WTH kind of moment) but based on Willsovem's comments maybe the mycelium from the dowel/coffee mixture will run through the grain and I'll have enough to do it right. Anyway, here is a link to a pretty simple step-by-step procedure to grow some oyster 'shrooms on spent grain/hay substrate:

http://www.vermontmushrooms.com/indo...onmethods.html

Please share any tips/tricks if anyone has success stories.

Quick Reply