Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The Muse, my second all-brett beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this yesterday but omitted the pilsner malt and only used half an ounce of saaz at 60mins. I did a 2L stirplate starter with a wyeast brett L. I spun the starter for 2.5 days, stuck it in the fridge for about 16 hours, decanted and pitched yesterday. 24 hours later activity is apparent, and about a quarter inch layer of krausen has formed. Fermenting at 73.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
KingHippo
@chestrockwell80
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Looks great man!

"How come things that only happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer J. Simpson

Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #13
saq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Coastarine if you had signs of fermentation in about 24 hours that means you got the yeast population up to some pretty good levels. I had this with a small local brewclub I'm in today when we did some planning for 2010 and everyone really enjoyed it (a big compliment from these guys) and one of the common descriptions was leathery with a bit of pie cherry and mango.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
saq
Recipes 

The Muse took gold in the specialty category in its first competition entry at 2009 Walk The Line - Barleywine Can't wait to get the judges sheets back on this one.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very cool, congrats!

I have some concerns because my fermenter didn't cool as quickly as I thought it would, it spend about 48 hours at 76. Got it down to the 68-70 range pretty fast after that. Really though, it's not like this was supposed to be a clean fermentation anyway. I'm only concerned because I'm used to worrying about temps that high, but I have no real idea what the brett will do.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 12-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #16
saq
Recipes 

I usually do my Brett ferments in the high 70s to 80s. I don't think Brett is capable of fusel alchohol production, nothing to worry about there!

Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got an all brett b molasses coffee porter going with a cake bred from orval bottle dregs. It smells amazing. If it turns out well then I think i'm going to give this one a try. It sounds and looks delicious and makes my mouth water. great job saq

Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 AM   #18
saq
Recipes 

Kicked the keg on this last weekend after doing some bottling. Sad to see it go.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

this sounds like a blast... i just tried the victory Wild Devil a few weeks ago and got my interest perked for doing an all brett beer, after seeing this thread, i gotta get it done! it's pretty cold in my neck of the woods this time of year, will brett still ferment completely below 70? and does it kick out heat like sacc?

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #20
saq
Recipes 

Victory Wild Devil is a Brett L fermentation. Those earthy, leathery, musty, dry spicy notes are the signature of Lambicus. The Muse has a lot of similar things going on when you compare it with Wild Devil.
Brett is a lot like Sacc in most practical brewing applications. It does produce heat, but most Brett strains ferment slower at similar fermentation ranges. The Muse fermented with room ambient temp and the thermometer on the fermenter said it was only a few degrees over, so 72f and it took about 4-5 weeks and got about 89% attenuation.

My latest, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/bard-all-brett-b-brown-147712/ was fermented when room temp was a bit lower, about 65f and also took about 4-5 weeks before it was completely done but didn't finish as low, I think around 85% attenuation.

Quick Reply