Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > The Muse, my second all-brett beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 11 Posts

Default The Muse, my second all-brett beer

So last Friday I had off thinking I needed a good chunk of the day to go to traffic court and get two minor charges dismissed but it ended up only taking about 20 minutes. What do I do with a suddenly free day? Brew of course!

I've been meaning to get another funky wild ale going with how deliciously successful The Minstrel was. See final recipe sheet & notes here. Thoughts floated through my head on what to do, no recipe had as of yet been made, but suddenly I was inspired and there wasn't anything else I could do about it.

This time I decided to go in the other direction and do something a little simpler. Light blond in color and not too strong, simple more traditional belgian pale ale / blonde ale recipe, nothing TOO crazy, oh and definitely need to do Brett L on this bad boy.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 52.83 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 22.64 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.55 %
0.25 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 1.89 %
2.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] (60 min) Hops 26.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Brettanomyces Lambicus White Labs #WLP653 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 13.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 20.94 qt of water at 166.6 F 156.0 F
10 min Step Add 10.00 qt of water at 197.1 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
9/4/09 - Easy brewday, hit temps though efficiency was a little low. 1.060

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up about a half pound of figs at the grocery store the other day, I think I'm going to put this in when gravity gets a little lower. I cleaned them, rinsed, quartered and froze the figs last night.

About 4 hours after pitching the 3.5L stir plated starter of Brett-L I got some pretty thick but not too tall krausen going, smells pretty funky. Going pretty active.

During the brewday I drank some really good sour beers with one of my buddies. 3 year old Rodenbach Grand Cru, Russian River Consecration Batch 2, and Norrenboro/Dogfish Head Old Odense.
I cleaned out a mason jar with starsan for an hour or so, then dumped some of my starter into the jar along with the dregs of the sour that I'm going to use to build up my own sour culture. I'm going to split off 1 gallon after fermentation is mainly done and before the addition of the figs and throw some of the funky bunch in and see how it goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been back brewing for about a year now and can't wait to get to lambics (still along way off for me...) This brew sounds disgustingly awesome!!! I've been staring at pics of pellicle the past few days. I can't wait!!! I know the end result is pretty laid back, but I love to think about the process.

I've got a couple of fig trees in the backyard. Haven't used them for anything but jam and good eatin' so far, but maybe a brew should be in store.

I'm jealous...

and a little buzzed...

Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
saq
Recipes 

All Brett beers do not get as sour as lambics, but they dont take nearly as long either. They add some acids but mainly produce funk. Im expecting it to be done in about 6 weeks.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
saq
Recipes 

I took a gravity reading last night and got 1.020, its a little funky. Yeast kinda seems like its stopped which is perplexing given that its at room temperature more or less and brett is known for >90% attenuation levels at this temperature. It could just be taking a rest to build up a pellicle and continue fermentation or something, I'm going to keep an eye on it and maybe pitch some more yeast in the future if it doesn't continue fermenting.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

you just reminded me that Muse has a new album that I need to go get, thanks

Oh yeah, this looks like a great beer too

Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
saq
Recipes 

Couple of updates.
Looky here, a nice pellicle! This formed about 2 weeks ago and dropped off on Friday.

So of course I had to take a gravity reading then, down to 1.012.

Took another gravity reading today since the pellicle is gone and airlock activity is more or less gone too, its down to 1.008, about 85% attenuated.
Here's a sampler in the glass, tastes interesting. Big dark musky funky nose, with some followthrough in the palate, a touch of tartness but not much, the malts are pretty mild and in there somewhere.

So I debated this back and forth for a while but eventually just decided to go for it, had about a half pound of figs I quartered and froze a few weeks ago, broke them up and dumped them in just now.

Its in my theater room so I can keep an easy eye on it, I'll post more updates when i get them!

Old 10-17-2009, 01:54 AM   #7
saq
Recipes 

Kegged this today. Gravity reading was at 1.006 and it looks like its been done with any activity for over a week. Tasted pretty funky, this is definitely lambicus. A little bit of fig comes through and kind of pairs with the brett funk in a really nice way. Can't wait to try it once its carbed.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 AM   #8
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Grgl. grgl. grgl.

Makes me wish I had another fermentor to put a straight Brett L beer into, instead of this complicated archaic Flanders and Lambic stuff.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
saq
Recipes 

Buy another better bottle, you don't need to refrigerate brett or anything. Its going to produce all kinds of fun flavors whatever temp you let it roll at

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
saq
Recipes 

Tapped it the other day and carbed, pulled my first test pint just now with lunch.

Appearance: Polished amber with a thin offwhite head. The beer color looks amazing, I think it will clarify more with time and more head will develope as the carbonation finishes.

Aroma: Funky, but not acidic. Somewhat like mango with a touch of lime. It is firmly present, but does not overpower and dances around lightly in the nose.

Flavor: The funky flavors come in first, again like mango with a touch of lime, and then the belgian blond characters of light malt sweetness. On the finish the lightest touch of dark fruit sweetness comes through with the fig. The flavors actually come together quite well.

Mouthfeel: A little dry but very smooth and drinkable. It definitely carries the body of a belgian blond / pale thats been funkified. I think maybe some more caravienna would have kept a little bit of the residual sweetness and not had it dry out so much.

Quick Reply