Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Murphy's Irish Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Ok

Yet again replying to the dead thread that only I am posting in anymore??

I made the brew. WOW! Its not carbed up yet, and this was a hydrometer sample from the pre-keg, post-secondary beer. WOW! It flipped a switch and I was in Ireland for a moment! I think its SPOT ON!

I will post my recipe soon but its basically whats in this thread (for Beamish).
Can't wait to try it on the nitro tap, cold, and carbed!

Thanks for the help, and YES PacMan seems to be great! my FG readings I think I do not trust (1.013) but even still, it is highly drinkable and tastes (from my 2-1/2 year memory) nearly exact to Beamish drafts....

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow, old thread... hey, glad to hear your Beamish clone is coming along well! While it might be impossible to 'truly' clone Beamish, we can get pretty close, and that's good enough for me.

I'll be brewing another one sometime this spring, I figure I'll go back to the original recipe (no chocolate malt) and see if I can get a similar roast character with just using RB. Sucks I won't be able to compare it to the real thing though.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
TrickyDick

Recipes 

It is tough to compare with a side by side tasting, and going only on memory,

Not at my main PC now, so I can't give you %, but here was my grist for 11g -target for two full cornys
Maris otter 13lb9.7oz
White wheat malt 1lb11.9oz
Roast barley 1lb3.5oz (I used the "English" roasted b from northern brewer, L given only as a range.
Chocolate malt 14oz
Crystal80 8oz
I used pacman in a starter, one smack pack was a bit funny, arrived already smacked! I made a starter, hit 1.043 target OG, but measured from one carboy, I got 1.013 FG. Might be from the dissolved CO2... Dunno. Seems to be a great recipe. The subtle finishing hops are refreshing change up from Drinking Guinness.

I don't anticipate this lasting very long.

TD

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #24
McRoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Ok

Yet again replying to the dead thread that only I am posting in anymore??

TD
Thought I'd put in my experience so far with this recipe ! I started a 5 gallon batch of this on Sunday. The wort tasted really good, can't wait for the finished thing! Thanks to you and bierhaus15 for the recipe & experiences!!
I was able to find a smack pack of Pacman & it definitely lives up to it's reputation, started really quick & was going strong until this afternoon & now it's starting to settle out already. Definitely going to recover as much of it as I can for other brews.

I'll update after I'm able to try it.

Thanks again!!!

Mike

Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #25
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
Thought I'd put in my experience so far with this recipe ! I started a 5 gallon batch of this on Sunday. The wort tasted really good, can't wait for the finished thing! Thanks to you and bierhaus15 for the recipe & experiences!!
I was able to find a smack pack of Pacman & it definitely lives up to it's reputation, started really quick & was going strong until this afternoon & now it's starting to settle out already. Definitely going to recover as much of it as I can for other brews.

I'll update after I'm able to try it.

Thanks again!!!

Mike
Great!

So since I originally hijacked this thread to a Beamish Clone thread, did you brew the Beamish or the Murphy's ??

My second stab at the Beamish is SPOT ON, as best my taste buds and memory can recall. The first attempt, I used a coffee grinder to crush the roasted malts and it clogged my recirculation mash and ended up scorched to a minimal degree (not enough to prevent drinking it). Wouldve ruined a lighter beer but a stout was able to soak it up and I was lucky I cought it FAST before it TOTALLY ruined the brew.

Love the Beamish.

TD

Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
McRoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Oops, forgot this was a Murphy's thread! I used the recipe in your last post, just cut in half. Glad your scorched batch was still OK!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #27
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoth
Oops, forgot this was a Murphy's thread! I used the recipe in your last post, just cut in half. Glad your scorched batch was still OK!
great! From my taste bud recollection, I think this is pretty dang close to real beamish. This time I didn't scorch it and is really nice!!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #28
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Hi, I came upon this thread during a search of "Beamish clone". Good work. thanks.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #29
McRoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottled this yesterday. The gravity sample tasted great!! Can't wait to try the finished brew!!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #30
McRoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I couldn't wait any longer so I cracked one open tonight. It is WONDERFUL! Thank you both for this recipe!!! I think it's my favorite that I've brewed so far. Here's a quick pic of it.

20130808_213345.jpg  

Quick Reply