Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Murphy's Irish Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 42

AWESOME!

Feels like you guys on this forum are like brothers almost.

Recently visited Ireland and toured about, sampling the big 3. Liked them all,but Murphy's is my fave. Beamish I didn't have as much of, as it is not as commonplace.

Have you read the Sep 2008 issue I mentioned about the Irish Dry Stouts? The author recommends grinding the roasted barley in a coffee grinder to PULVERIZE it. I brewed a Guinness Style stout with this and it turned out pretty darn good - though I must say that in judging stouts, it is hard to draw conclusions without comparison tastings...

No flavor hops? and PacMan Yeast?

Agreed that the nitrocans SUCK! AND the Ireland Guinness DOES taste TOTALLY different than what you get in America.

Maybe I will give up my quest for Murphy's Red and try a Smithwicks instead? Any good recipes for that one?

Thanks for the tips! I think I will ultimately brew the AS IS formulation for my "Beamish" clone, if for no other reason than to have a comparison for when I can "get it right" and also so I don't have to buy any more NitroCans...

Thanks!!!!

TD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #12
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
The author recommends grinding the roasted barley in a coffee grinder to PULVERIZE it.

No flavor hops? and PacMan Yeast?
I've tried doing the coffee grinder thing on the roasted barley. Works great if you are looking for a really intense, roasted barley flavor that wont fade over time.

Flavor hops were 1.0z goldings at flameout. Pacman is a superb strain from Wyeast, supposedly it's Rogue's proprietary strain. Regardless, it makes an excellent beer and is perfect for a Beamish clone as it provides great maltiness without a lot of esters and it attenuates very well. Also, I think it gives the beer a softer mouthfeel, which helps to counteract some the astringency from the roasted barley and low finishing gravity. I prefer this yeast over both wyeast and whitelabs "Irish yeast" for my stouts.

Cheers.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #13
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Thanks TONS!

I've got a couple of choice for my planned brew-day tomorrow. I am desperately wanting a nice Stout - even if it isn't a perfect clone of Beamish.

My other choice is a nice Amber Ale - and I DO happen to have some PacMan Yeast!

Maybe I will just brew the Stout as originally planned, then brew # 2 can be the Amber Ale with the PacMan as originally intended.... with some planning, I might be able to pull off a 3rd brew racked onto the PacMan Yeast Cake after refining the Beamish Clone recipe.

When you last mentioned adding 3% grist as Crystal Malt (or was it Chocolate Malt) - where does that push the other grist parameters?

Thanks again!

After a night's rest I came up with the following ideas.
Thanks for the tips (AND SORRY FOR THE THREAD HIJACK! well not really..)

So fiddling with the data you've given..

6# 2-row
.8# wheat malt
.6 roast barley
.4 chocolate malt
.2 crystal 80
Is getting pretty close to the specs you listed for a 5.0 gallon batch

I plug this into promash and try to tweak the %. the addition of crystal knocks the 2-row contribution to 75%.

What SRM on the Chocolate and Roasted Barley? I can't to 35 using 300L roast barley.

No Flaked Barley in the Grist eh?

I'm thinking I might try brewing this up.

I only have 1 oz EKG hops had planned to add half for aroma at 15 minuites.
I was going to subtitute Perle for Challenger hops that I couldn't find without shelling out extra $8 for shipping a pack of hops - ridiculous.
Also have to substitute some Torrified Wheat for the Wheat Malt, and 90L crystal instead of 80L.

You do a single infusion at 152?
Thanks!
TD

Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #14
tlsaudio
Recipes 

Just finished the BYO Beamish clone and realized that I forgot to add the 6oz sugar during boil, how much do you think this will change the beer? Could I boil some sugar down and put it in the wort or should I just let it be. Its fermenting really well now after sitting 24hrs.
I used the London ESB yeast for this batch.
Thanks for any help,
-T

Last edited by tlsaudio; 11-15-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #15
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You'll get a lower starting gravity, though other than that it won't change it much in way of flavor. If you want, you can boil up some water with the sugar, let it cool and add it to the already fermenting beer. Though, not really necessary.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
TrickyDick

Recipes 

I brewed mine (Beamish clone from a couple posts higher) on my new Brutus style rig.
I subbed some torrified wheat for the wheat malt, but didn't quite had the full amount I thought I did. (Few oz short).

Second time using it. First time I realized an 18% evaporation rate. I plugged that into my software for this batch but ... DOH!!! All my propane tanks were empty, and there wasn't enough in the one good tank to really finish the job OR to get a sufficiently strong boil to boil off the water I added. I ended up with about 6-6.5 gallons int the primary and wasting some on the order of 3-4 quarts!!!

I should've delayed my brewing to run out and pick up more propane - lessons learned.

That is ANOTHER way to get a lower gravity beer as well... I think its going to be a little lighter colored too...

TD

Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
tlsaudio
Recipes 

My starting gravity is@ 1.060. Its was supposed to be around 1.040-045, did i cook to long? If the sugar wont change the taste im just going to leave it. What gravity did you guys finish at?
Thanks,
-T

Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
beercheer4me
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone got a beersmith file yet ,,,,,for a Murphy's.... pacman is the one to use or prefer,
water calibration I am on a well and it is very good as far as tatse and ph is 6.8 with hardness at 190 to 200 points
do ya think it would work?
I want to have a water test done ,I have to find a lab , the water plant across the street dont want to do the test ,told me to send it to a lab , bone heads i guess
I did to 1554 New B that turned out petty good it had a tad of eartyness from the choc. added at the end which is a little differate the the real deal ...But I liked it

Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Trying another stab at Beamish, this time with a full propane tank!

So to again, reiterate the previous posts, and also to ask if there has been any more progress on cloning beamsih (this is probably the worlds most awesome thread hijack!!) I'm throwing together another try at beamish.

Bittering hops = EKG, (or Challenger?)
Aroma hops = none, or EKG?
Yeast : pacman
No sugar
No flaked barley

Add in 3% crystal 80 to previous posted grain bill

Ordering stuff on Monday. This is my second try. First one was OK, but running out of propane screwed up the gravity and basically the entire brew.

TD

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #20
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Reply to self two years later..

Brewing hiatus due to faulty burners that needed a swap out, and mods to rig, then propane burn quality problems. Seems solved now..

That last crack at beamish I crushed the roasted barley in a coffee grinder, and it gummed to mash up on the new rig, and scorched the wort. Yuck.
Big time propane problems getting good boil.

Trying another crack at beamish clone. So back to beirhaus, have you cracked the final secrets to cloning yet? Any other tips? Gonna post my recipe one I finalize it and get my ingredients all rounded up...

What L on the chocolate malt? UK supplies a darker roast compared to the US chocolate malts.
Also the base malt, UK yes, but what about marris otter pale malt?

BYO recipe calls for some hallertauer flavor hops but you say goldings.
Sad that beamish is no longer available in USA

TD

Also, saw a post online some blog, with specs 1.040 OG, 35 SRM, 30 IBU ( from challenger at 60 min and EKG at 15 min)
Grist was 77.5 golden promise, 10.1 roasted barley, 7 wheat malt, 5.4 chocolate, the number is % weight in grist. Pacman yeast.
These specs are very close to beirhaus 15.

Quick Reply