Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mulling spices for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
daisyflower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mulling spices for beer

Of course I know of spiced beer, but has anyone tried spices that you would used to make mulled wine for beer?. I am not talking about making hot mulled beer but spicing beer with these spices. I have mulling sachets I thought could be steeped during fermentation or the boil. The spices in the ingredient list are these: cinnamon chips, orange peel, cloves, allspice, pure orange oil. What, if any, style of beer would be compatible with these spices?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say nothing too hoppy and something with a relatively clean taste. Something that will allow the spices to shine through. Any recipe for a winter warmer-type brew, or even a pumpkin ale (remove the orange oil and in most recipes the peel, and you have pumpkin spice). Just be careful with the amount you add as, with spices, a little goes a long way. Edit: Depending on the amount of oil, it may or may not do a number on your head retention.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Monox
Recipes 

I brew a winter ale with 1 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom, and add in whole cloves and bitter orange peel. I can post the all-grain recipe if you like, but without knowing the amount of spices in the sachets, it may take a few experiments to get the taste you want.

Quick Reply