Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Muay Thai PA Recipe--Need opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mauy Thai Pale, eh??

Now I gotta make a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtejedor View Post
You could dry hop so to speak with basil. I remember reading something about a beer that used this technique and hearing it was petty good. I love Thai food too, I make a mean pad krapow. We started growing Thai basil in our garden it is so pungent and awesome, way better then anything I have ever gotten at a market.
Not a bad idea. Dry hopping with thai basil is probably a better alternative to boiling it. If I can find some, I'll be sure to do it. I have two weeks before secondary. I am definately going to DH 4 gallons with Sorachi. I'll know more after fermentation. I might make a lemongrass/Ginger tea to add at secondary if the flavors are not where I want them to be.

You make dinner and I'll bring the beer, yes?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #13
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
Mauy Thai Pale, eh??

Now I gotta make a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu IPA
Gracie IPA? I'm down to try it. Makes me want to bust out my "Drunken Master" DVD.

What's watching UFC/MMA without a good beer?

Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
J-Pizzel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed the Ginger Lemongrass Wheat Ale from Austin Homebrew. I'd look up there quantities and then cut it in half or so. Me, and even my wife, find it sessionable.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
LeSinge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
The OG reading tasted very refreshing. I am going to bottle the batch and determine if it needs more lemongrass/ginger at bottling time. I skipped the basil addition as I do not want to commit to 5gal of it. I am going to "infuse" a few bottles with it. I could not find kaffir lime leaves or galangal but may hunt them down for future batches if this taste as good as it smells.

Do you use vodka or boil water and add the ingredients + sugar? Have you used basil?
Yes, the Bruery Trade Winds has Thai Basil in it, I use 2/3 Thai Basil and 1/3 Globe Basil for mine, added in whirlpool and then a little more as dryhop.

I add Lemongrass and Ginger with the bottling sugar and water...and I wing-it, never had a fail on my Tripel, but have failed on Lagers doing this...

As for Thai Food, certainly the Best eating out there. I spent 3 months in Thailand in my early 20's and it changed my life concerning food. Only things that compete are Beef Tendon Pho and Breakfast of Rice, Kimchi and Kalbi Beef with a couple over-easy eggs ontop.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #16
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSinge View Post
Yes, the Bruery Trade Winds has Thai Basil in it, I use 2/3 Thai Basil and 1/3 Globe Basil for mine, added in whirlpool and then a little more as dryhop.

I add Lemongrass and Ginger with the bottling sugar and water...and I wing-it, never had a fail on my Tripel, but have failed on Lagers doing this...

As for Thai Food, certainly the Best eating out there. I spent 3 months in Thailand in my early 20's and it changed my life concerning food. Only things that compete are Beef Tendon Pho and Breakfast of Rice, Kimchi and Kalbi Beef with a couple over-easy eggs ontop.
I'm going to set aside a gallon for dry hopping with basil and the other four with Sorachi. When ready for bottling, I'll determine if I need mnore lemongrass and/or Ginger.

Sounds like I need to get out to The Bruery. I've never been to there tap room. I think it is offsite from the actual brewery. Some place in Orange. There bottles rarely make it south and when they do, it's a $12 bottle. One of my favorite places down south is the OB Noodle House. Great selection of beer and good food.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #17
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pizzel View Post
I brewed the Ginger Lemongrass Wheat Ale from Austin Homebrew. I'd look up there quantities and then cut it in half or so. Me, and even my wife, find it sessionable.
Looked at the ingredients and also read the comments. Could not find the weights and measures.

From the comments it sounds delicious.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
J-Pizzel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I get home from work in the AM, I'll see of I have the ingredient list stashed somewhere....

Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
danielofthedale
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Hey this sounds pretty good. I am thinking of doing an American Wheat Ale with lemongrass and thai basil and was wondering how this turned out? Did you get the lemon flavor you looking for? Would you use more or less lemongrass next time? Maybe add some in the secondary dry hop style? And any additional info on using the basil would be very helpful.

Hope you have a happy holidays and great new year.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielofthedale
Hey this sounds pretty good. I am thinking of doing an American Wheat Ale with lemongrass and thai basil and was wondering how this turned out? Did you get the lemon flavor you looking for? Would you use more or less lemongrass next time? Maybe add some in the secondary dry hop style? And any additional info on using the basil would be very helpful.

Hope you have a happy holidays and great new year.
I used one stalk of lemongrass, 2oz of sliced ginger in the boil. I bittered with summit and used 4oz sorachi ace late in the boil and dry hopped an additional 2oz. I just kegged this last week. I did set aside 4 bottles that I primed with a tea I made using 2 minced basil leaves. I have not tried the bottles yet. The flavor off the keg beer is refreshing. The ginger is dominant and I get mostly a spicy dill flavor from the sorachi. I would scale back the ginger to 1oz, use more lemongrass and sub the sorachi for something more citrus like. Definitely needs another stalk of lemongrass. When I bottled with the basil, the aroma was very powerful. I intend to open these next week on New Years Eve. I was unable to get wyeast 1272, so I used 1056 instead. I'll try to update next week when the hangover subsides. Merry Xmas and happy brewing.

Quick Reply