HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Muay Thai PA Recipe--Need opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Muay Thai PA Recipe--Need opinions

What's up HBT'ers! I just got back with my grain bill. Getting ready to brew it up tomorrow afternoon/evening. I need some advice on a few of the additions. Here's my Idea:

9.5# US Pale II row
1# Honey malt
.5# Crystal 60
Wyeast 1318 -- Malt and Hop friendly and hope it accents the lemongrass, ginger and Honey/Crystal malts.
1oz Summit -- FWH for bittering
6oz Sorachi Ace -- All late additions starting at 30min
1 stalk Lemongrass -- When to add and how much???
1 small Ginger root -- When to add and how much???
Basil??? -- This is just an idea, may set aside 1 gal to experiment. Give me a reason not to.

I am mashing in a little higher at 154 to give it a malty backbone. I do not want it to finish too dry. I know it seems out of season, but we seem to be skipping fall as SoCal summer drags on. Please lend some advice or opinions if you have used Lemongrass and/or Ginger.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Sorachi,lemongrass and ginger,get in there!
I,having not long ago added 2 stalks(bashed like a 13 year old's lil fella) to a wit and it only just hints at being there.
I would go 3-4 at 10 minutes. And maybe soak two more in vidka for a week and throw that in.
Good luck with the brew bro

Old 11-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee
Sorachi,lemongrass and ginger,get in there!
I,having not long ago added 2 stalks(bashed like a 13 year old's lil fella) to a wit and it only just hints at being there.
I would go 3-4 at 10 minutes. And maybe soak two more in vidka for a week and throw that in.
Good luck with the brew bro
Thanks for the advice. I've used lemongrass in cooking but don't know how much is appropriate in a 5gal brew. Looks like I'll be headed down to the whole foods market for more lemongrass. I will update the post with pics and progress. Should be mighty tasty when finished.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
badlee
Recipes 

Look forward to pics.
Happy brewing.
I am very lucky in that i have all the lemongrass i could ever need right here in my mother-in-law's garden.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
LeSinge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If need be, you can 're-enforce' the Basil & Lemongrass flavors by adding them to the bottling sugar after fermentation. I do this for my Bruery Trade Winds Tripel clone and the freshness is astounding!
Sounds like a mighty fine & exotic brew!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSinge View Post
If need be, you can 're-enforce' the Basil & Lemongrass flavors by adding them to the bottling sugar after fermentation. I do this for my Bruery Trade Winds Tripel clone and the freshness is astounding!
Sounds like a mighty fine & exotic brew!
The OG reading tasted very refreshing. I am going to bottle the batch and determine if it needs more lemongrass/ginger at bottling time. I skipped the basil addition as I do not want to commit to 5gal of it. I am going to "infuse" a few bottles with it. I could not find kaffir lime leaves or galangal but may hunt them down for future batches if this taste as good as it smells.

Do you use vodka or boil water and add the ingredients + sugar? Have you used basil?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
Look forward to pics.
Happy brewing.
I am very lucky in that i have all the lemongrass i could ever need right here in my mother-in-law's garden.
I'm jealous! I bet your in-laws put together some tasty Tom Yam or Tom ka kai. Thai food is right above Pho on my list as #1. My mom would be pissed if she knew, we are Italian. She takes her cooking seriously.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
badlee
Recipes 

Wow,I bet she would beat you with a wooden spoon!lol
There is another,much less well known dish you should be sure and try from Thailand; Tom Saep. Its like a clear Tom Yam with lots of basil,lemongrass,kifir lime leaves,galangal,cumin,chilli and lime juice.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You could dry hop so to speak with basil. I remember reading something about a beer that used this technique and hearing it was petty good. I love Thai food too, I make a mean pad krapow. We started growing Thai basil in our garden it is so pungent and awesome, way better then anything I have ever gotten at a market.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #10
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee View Post
Wow,I bet she would beat you with a wooden spoon!lol
There is another,much less well known dish you should be sure and try from Thailand; Tom Saep. Its like a clear Tom Yam with lots of basil,lemongrass,kifir lime leaves,galangal,cumin,chilli and lime juice.
Damn, you know the drill!!! There was not a long handled wood spoon in our kitchen. All of them broken over my bare ass!!! Hahaha, you said wood spoon! Brings back memories...bad memories! The sound of that drawer opening and the wood spoon hitting the counter repeatedly are forever etched in my mind.

I will be sure to look up that dish. We have plenty of specialty markets here that cater to SE Asian and Pacific Islander foods. Kifir lime leaves and galangal are hard to come by.

Quick Reply