Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mosaic/Nelson Sauvin Pairing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
fab80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So, did you brew this monster yet? Looks delicious. Let us know how it is going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Dave1096
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab80 View Post
So, did you brew this monster yet? Looks delicious. Let us know how it is going.
I brewed it a week ago from last Friday...so about 9 days ago. I, unfortunately, undershot my OG by 6 points...ended up at 1.072 which isn't terrible but not what I wanted. I tried a sample when I took a gravity reading a couple days ago, and it was pretty good but really green. It's impossible to really gauge this beer accurately at this point. I'll crash to my keg this Friday and start dry hopping...at that point I might get a slightly better sample and let you all know how it's going. I figure I'm still about 3-4 weeks away from knowing how good this beer will be.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
slimseven
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I brewed an IPA using only mosaic hops and it came out great. Kind of grapefruity, but I think it would work well as a summer ale. Gonna experiment with Mosaic and a couple different hops when I try my first AG brew.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I also brewed a test batch of Mosaic IPA, and although everything I read said it tasted like tropical fruit, it reminded me more of pink grapefruit. My next beer with be a Mosaic-only IPA.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Old 05-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
inthesound
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mosaic and Nelson Sauvin are both quire tasty. I used those two hops along with sorachi ace, motueka, and citra in a super fruity pale ale. That one will be going into a secondary with a dry hop soon. The wort tasted quite unlike any other wort I've tried. I expect good things. My concept was a sangria flavor inspired ale. Mosaic is super tropical, and to a slightly lesser degree, so is citra. I had read a lot about Sauvin being described as "white wine-like." I opted for sorachi ace and motueka for their lemon and lime qualities, so hopefully all that carries through. I'm really excited to try this one. It will get dry hopped with a blend of sorachi ace, nelson sauvin, motueka, and citra.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
Dave1096
Recipes 

So, I took a gravity reading tonight before I placed my fermenter in the fridge for cold crashing. My gravity is 1.008, and it tastes awesome...extremely high in tropical fruit flavors, just like I wanted it to be. I'll cold crash to my keg on Friday and begin dry hopping for about 10-14 days...depends on how I'm feeling around the 10 day mark. After tasting tonight's sample, I'm even more excited about this beer than I was before.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Dave1096
Recipes 

Dry hopping away. I'll taste a sample again in a week and see how it's doing.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Done it....great aroma but weird flavor....kind of spicy

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #19
Dave1096
Recipes 

OK, I figured I owe you all an update on Richard Simmons DIPA. Holy shnikes!!! If you like fruit-juice-packed IPA's this is a recipe that you will appreciate. It's SUPER juicy on the hop profile, and the honey malt only adds to the juicy-sweet flavor (disclaimer: I borrowed the grain bill from the Kern River Citra recipe and just scaled it up a bit, so this recipe isn't 100% original). This is exactly what I was trying to accomplish, and I think it turned out great. If you like really bitter or really piney DIPA's then this isn't for you. But if you like DIPA's with tons of tropical fruit juice flavors then you'll probably like this. I'm diggin' it alot.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
fab80
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1096 View Post
OK, I figured I owe you all an update on Richard Simmons DIPA. Holy shnikes!!! If you like fruit-juice-packed IPA's this is a recipe that you will appreciate. It's SUPER juicy on the hop profile, and the honey malt only adds to the juicy-sweet flavor (disclaimer: I borrowed the grain bill from the Kern River Citra recipe and just scaled it up a bit, so this recipe isn't 100% original). This is exactly what I was trying to accomplish, and I think it turned out great. If you like really bitter or really piney DIPA's then this isn't for you. But if you like DIPA's with tons of tropical fruit juice flavors then you'll probably like this. I'm diggin' it alot.
So glad that it turn out great! Mosaic is my new favorite hop, Citra is my all time favorite. Nelson is really interesting, I brewed a nicely hopped pale ale with it and it was great, but it's so unique that I can't see it paired with any other hops. It's time to give it a try. I am gonna brew this in a month or so but I will be doing partial mash since I can't go all grain in my apartment.

Quick Reply