*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Morning Brew Sweet Sout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
wyobow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Morning Brew Sweet Sout

First try at a AG stout recipe , how's it look ? An[LIST=1][*]8.25 lbs pale malt 2 row[*]1 lbs flaked barley[*]1 lbs flaked oats[*]1 lbs roasted barley[*].75 lbs cara-pils/dextrine[*].5 lbs caramel/crystal malt-40l[*].5 lbs chocolate malt[*].5 oz chinook (13%)60 min[*].5 oz challenger (7.5%) 40 min[*].75 lbs lactose 20 min[*]1 pkg safale english ale yeast #s-04[*]2 cups cold brewed coffee to secondary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 92

What are you looking for exactly? How much coffee character? How sweet? Any particular flavors or attributes you want? Your recipe as is will make a fine beer, but I can’t know if it will be exactly what you are looking for.

If you want something creamy/sweet I would go with a more neutral bittering hop than Chinook (pretty much anything else). What are you trying to get from the Challenger addition?

I also like darker crystal malts in stouts, maybe a caramunich, or crystal 80, something like that (even a blend of a medium and something really dark like 120 or special B if you want some dark fruit character).

I might hold off on the lactose until the beer ferments out. You can always add more/less depending on how it tastes.

Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
wyobow
Recipes 

More of a slightly sweet ,with a pronounced coffee flavor. As far as the hops , I'm open to suggestions, as I said this is my first try at this. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

First, a full pound of roasted barley is a bit much for a sweet stout. I'd drop that to 1/2 pound tops. Also, I'd go with an even pound of lactose. Going with a darker crystal may not be a bad idea as previously mentioned. I think the Chinook hops are alright but the Challenger does seem out of place. Lastly, I'm not sure your going to get much from 2 cups of coffee, although I've admittedly never brewed a coffee stout before.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Quick Reply