#2 - Split Batch - Centennial Blonde & Strawberry Blonde
For my second attempt, I decided to follow a recipe from an experienced brewer. I chose BM's Centennial Blonde Ale and opted to split my batch to try a couple new techniques. For one batch, I dry hopped with 0.25oz of cascade and 0.25oz of centennial for 7 days. In the other, I racked the 2.5ish gallons over 3lbs of frozen, sliced strawberries (thoroughly sprayed with starsan). I also tried cold crashing both of these batches to see what effect this would have on clarity.Results
OG came out about 6 points high, so I topped up with some RO water until I reached the target OG.
Centennial Blonde - turned out great. It's simple enough for non-craft beer drinkers to enjoy, but interesting enough to be enjoyable for me as well. I'll definitely re-brew this in the future and tweak it to be more like my own recipe.
Strawberry Blonde - my beer was racked over strawberries for about two weeks before cold crashing, and it came out with a very strong strawberry aroma. However, the flavor is incredibly tart and not enjoyable to drink in its current state. It probably doesn't help that I primed to 3.0 volumes CO2, which increases the perceived tartness. I've let it set for about a month now, and it's mellowed a little. Maybe this will be drinkable by fall.Lessons Learned
Consider whirlpooling to minimize trub delivered to fermenter.
Need to be more patient with the boil for the hot break to occur.