months of waiting have made me over think everything

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
just an excited thread, but also can not possibly decide myself. it's been about 5 months since i've been able to brew but also have a sort of short time left to brew. i figure i have time for three batches. just tell me your personal opinon.

the second batch i want to make will be a belgian dubbel using recycled and ramped up t-58 trub from the first batch.

the first batch will use t-58 and the third batch will use s-05.

which grist/hop bill should be for the first and third?

~1.038 og
~30IBU of EKG
8% black malt
80% pale
12% crystal 20

~1.048 og
28 IBU of Spalt
50% DME
45% munich
5% caramunich

both could turn out well with either yeast... i'd be excited about either an alt or munich filled belgian. also could be exciting to try a kind of roasty belgian

Just a thought, but your first brew with an OG of 1.038 and 30 IBUs will be VERY bitter. Try increasing your gravity or coming way down on your IBUs.

The first brew withT-58 (sorry but a yeast I've never used), since you are looking for a roasty Belgian, could be good with a grist of

9 lb 2 row
0.5 lb special b (warning, this is easily overdone so be careful- less not more)
0.5 lb roasted barley

Try hopping with one of the noble hops like hallertau. EKG is all British to my palette.

Third brew: IPA?

9 lb 2-row
2 lb Munich
1 lb c-60

1 oz centennial 60 mins
1 oz cascade 20 min
1 oz centennial 2 mins
1 oz cascade 2 mins
1 oz chinook 2 mins
Dry hop 1 oz chinook 7 days

S-05

Or you could brew cream of three crops...check that one out in the search.

Back