Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Molasses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Rivercat96
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Molasses

Had an imperial stout called Abyss from Deschutes Brewing Company that had some molasses, licorice, and was aged in oak barrels. The beer was pretty damn good but I thought a lighter version of it would be great. I'm planning on making a sweet stout with 8 oz. of black patent grain, 8 oz. of medium crystal grain, 8 oz. of lacotse, 1-2 oz of fuggles, and 6 lbs. of light LME. How much molasses do you think I should add to get a little of the flavor in my brew? I was thinking about adding 4 to 6 oz. 30 minutes into the boil. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

30 mins might be a little long if you're going for flavor, but I've not used molasses in forever. I'd probably do a 3/4 cup or so (no idea on weight) right around flame out, but that's just me.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Rivercat96
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

VTBrewer, thanks for the input. I read a little earlier in my Joy of Homebrewing book that 1 cup of molasses is a good amount for a 5 gallon batch of beer. I'm leaning towards using 6 oz 5 minutes or less before flame out.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's really a crap shoot the first time you use an ingredient like that, unless you've tasted somebody else's and know how much they used as a baseline. 6 oz at 5 minutes seems like as reasonable a shot as any...and you can always do it differently next time. Also, if it doesn't have a strong enough taste at bottling time, consder using molasses to prime it. 5 gallons of 70 degree beer with a desired 2.0 volumes of CO2 would need 5.2 ounces of molasses. A stout is typically 1.7 - 2.3 volumes.

I used to play around with when to add maple syrup to my maple bourbon porter boil, and never seemed to get it right until I boiled 32oz in 2 cups of water and added to secondary....

Good luck!

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

6 ounces is about right for a light molasses, but cut that in half if you use a black-strap.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Rivercat96
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

VT Brewer, the only beer that I can recall that I tried with molasses was Abyss Imperial Stout and it had a real nice flavor to it. I ended up using 6 oz. at flame out and can definitely smell the molasses today as it's bubbling away in the carboy. Thanks for the idea on using molasses to prime.

David 42, I think the molasses I have is blackstrap so basically I'm gonna have a interesting brew to taste in a little over a month.

Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone know how it tastes, I may have created a keeper.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
jonbrout
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm going to make my first brew a Scottish ale. I was thinking today (don't have the kit yet) that i could possibly add some Molasses but how much and when? Flame out = ? Did the 3/4 cup work out well? Also i was thinking of adding a tad of vanilla perhaps for a few days in secondary before bottling?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

You can add molasses at any point during the boil. It's molasses. You're not going to scorch or caramelize it any worse than it already is. It's already black, so you don't have to worry about Maillard reactions making your beer darker than it ought to be. It's hideously strongly-flavored black sludge - you're not going to hurt it.

Seriously, there's no point in adding molasses late. Unlike hops aromatics, the flavor precursors of molasses are not volatile, and you can't hurt it by boiling it for a long time. Might as well dump it in right at the start.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll be sampling the first of my recent Molasses Porters soon so I'll be better able to comment on the results but I decided to go with unsulfured dark molasses after doing a side by side tasting of it and black strap. The black strap had a bit of a harshness that I didn't really think would jive with the rest of the recipe.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #10
jonbrout
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So, as I stated before I'm a noob to brewing. This will be my first batch. Soo i was just thinking last night with the addition of Molasses during the boil wouldn't that disolves more sugars in the wort than the recipie calls for? What would the affects be? (i don't want a sweet brew) I understand there is no precise amount to put in during the boil or the time it needs to go in. However, I am just wanting it in there for the subtle flavor behind the ale. This being said would there be any suggestions for the amount or time boiling it? Perhaps I shouldn't add it at all? I ordered the Scottish Ale Kit from midwest in case it needs to be referenced.
Mucho Gracias.

Quick Reply