New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA: Hop schedule?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA: Hop schedule?

Hello everyone,

First post, but I've been lurking for a while. These forums have been a ton of help in getting me back into brewing and getting me started with all grain.

I've done 2 all grain batches so far and for my 3rd I'm looking to try a basic SMaSH recipe. After doing some reading on the forum I decided on a Marris Otter SMaSH IPA with some type of American hop. I stopped by the LHBS this afternoon to see what they had for hops, I was hoping for Amarillo but somebody walked out with the last bag as I came in the door.

I ended up getting 3 oz of Columbus pellets (13.9% AA), the shop was very helpful and the employee thought that this would be borderline too much for the recipe. Can you guys help me come up with a hop schedule that will give me a solid IPA but still let the malt come through a bit? I understand this is a high AA hop but I was hoping to get lots of flavor/aroma in addition to the bitterness, and I wanted to dry hop a bit as well. So if you think I should buy another ounce or two, the LHBS is right on my way home and I can do that later this week...

I was planning on mashing 13 lbs of Marris Otter, to give me a ~1.063 OG (hopefully! Still dialing in my system). This is for a 5.5-ish gallon batch.

Should I do a FWH? If I do, should I still do a 60 min addition? I'd appreciate any suggestions, this is my first IPA and my first non-kit/recipe so I'm fairly inexperienced in terms of these things.

I got some good info searching the forums but nothing that nailed down a good hop schedule for the MO/Columbus combo.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
heywatchthis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is my opinion on Columbus:

I like splitting my bittering addition between FWH and a 60 minute add. I don't like to add much, if any, until <10 minutes left in the boil, because I don't care for the (almost) garlic-y flavor it can add. I think 3 ounces isn't enough for an 1.063 IPA. I would use at least 6.

I'd do something like this:

.5 oz FWH
1 oz 60
.5 oz 10
2 oz 0
2-3 oz DH

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
wunnup
Recipes 

im sorry. whats fwh?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
Randall
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have my mo and columbus smash dry hopping right now. Taste is awsome i was alittle worried because it was quite harsh in the primary but after a week and a half of dry hops pretty good. I used 14 pounds mo, i toasted 2 lbs of it in the oven for 30 min. Hops i did 1oz fwh, .5 oz @ 10min, and 2 oz @ flameout.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunnup View Post
im sorry. whats fwh?
First wort hop

Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywatchthis View Post
This is my opinion on Columbus:

I like splitting my bittering addition between FWH and a 60 minute add. I don't like to add much, if any, until <10 minutes left in the boil, because I don't care for the (almost) garlic-y flavor it can add. I think 3 ounces isn't enough for an 1.063 IPA. I would use at least 6.

I'd do something like this:

.5 oz FWH
1 oz 60
.5 oz 10
2 oz 0
2-3 oz DH
Thanks for the advice! I've heard about the garlic/oniony qualities that some Columbus crops can have, but sticking my nose into the hops and taking a big whiff I can't detect any of that.

Randall, have you done this SMaSH before? Sounds like yours is coming along great. What temperature did you mash at? How much did you dry hop with? What was your OG? I'm going to skip toasting some of the grain for this batch, trying to keep it simple.

It sounds like I should pick up a few more ounces...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
dukes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I ended up getting 3 oz of Columbus pellets (13.9% AA), the shop was very helpful and the employee thought that this would be borderline too much for the recipe.
LOL I'm doing a MO/Columbus SMaSH IPA this weekend and using 3 oz of Columbus in a ONE gallon batch! (That includes dry hop though). I can post my hop schedule when I get home.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
zachattack
Recipes 

Haha okay, I'll be buying some more. Dukes, I'd love to see the hop schedule, thanks.

Can anyone recommend a mash temperature?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
Haha okay, I'll be buying some more. Dukes, I'd love to see the hop schedule, thanks.

Can anyone recommend a mash temperature?
I've been mashing MO based beers that I want to dry out at about 149 and those I wish to maintain a bit of body at 152 or 153.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Randall
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Its almost 4 weeks in right now. Gonna keg it on Sunday since it would have 2 weeks on dry hops. I used 2oz for dry hops. I think I mashed in around 151-152 first time using mo. I pulled a sample and it was fantastic!

Quick Reply