The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > minimalist experimental brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Are you looking for a flavorful beverage crafted using creative means, or just a cheap way to make booze? If you're after the former, your approach needs a lot of refinement. If you're after the latter, you're in the wrong place.

BTW, it's usually poor form to restart a thread that just got shut down. This one's on very thin ice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 6 Posts

Google George Washington small beer. Then go buy Radical Brews by Randy Mosher. This will get the creative juices flowing.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
DansBrew
Recipes 

Marko- It's ok, no hard feelings... I used some of the same terminology in my original post, and thats why the post was removed by moderators... I'm comfortable saying that now, because Nurmey really pointed me in the direction I wanted to go... Alternative methods of brewing and trying to get a palatable concoction from it. Prison Wine, is definitely not what I'm trying to make here, although it loosely resembles what I was trying to figure out... It resourcefully uses basic everyday items to created a fermented and alcoholic beverage. As one who works within the law enforcement field, I certainly do not condone violating institutional regulations in acquiring materials for the production of fermented beverage. I want to make it perfectly clear, that I am not looking for a recipe or technique on how to make a prison wine, if that was the case, I would simply ask an inmate next time I saw one. I was looking for an alternative and minimalist approach to experiment with fermentation and the products there of...

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #14
DansBrew
Recipes 

So if anyone can add any recipes, something slightly warm in the mouth with maybe a fruity, sweet taste... I'm interested in a one gallon batch...

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
DansBrew
Recipes 

The former Yuri... Something that isnt necessarily beer or wine in traditional sense, but that still tastes good, and I can have fun experimenting and tweeking a basic recipe... Like playing with a given recipe for a Belgian beer, changing adjunct, and different malts and such...I like to tinker, Its why I enjoy firing up my smoker, and trying different smoke wood on meat, and different rubs... Just because I like to blaze my own trails on occasion

Old 12-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #16
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Ok, you terminology is quite a bit better on this thread,

I still feel that your math for you ABV is terribly wrong.
Besides that, I see where you are going. It is an interesting experiment.

For future brews turbinado only offers about 44 points per pound. (1.044)
There is nothing to convert that oatmeal in to a fermentable sugar.
As for flavoring after fermentation the world is your oyster! I would suggest that you avoid adding any sugar/corn syrup sweetened items for flavor as they would promote a secondary fermentation/carbonation.

I would try to flavor after you get your base finished, doing that will aid in you getting the finished product that you are striving for.

I would try Austin Homebrew Supply for flavorings and possibly filtration to get the yeast out of your "solution"

Please keep in mind all of us here are interested in keeping this site safe and free from legal involvement.

There is nothing wrong with your attempt, but your wording was problematic.

-Jason

Old 12-23-2009, 03:19 AM   #17
DansBrew
Recipes 

Thanks Cheeto,
I was under the (apparently wrongful) assumption that I could steep some sugars out of the oatmeal. I was also using the brew builder web app to determine ABV. So since I cant get fermentables out of the oatmeal, basically im getting a sugar water wort with a slight oatmeal taste? lol. I think I need to do more research then on attaining fermentables.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #18
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

I have heard of certain chemicals that might offer up the enzymes needed for starch conversion. A search (with the proper terminology) could lead you in the right direction.

For your next attempt I would start with Honey! The support for Honey wines (meads) is pretty solid here! Moreover you might not end up with something that you could be pouring down the drain.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 AM   #19
DansBrew
Recipes 

BTW, it's usually poor form to restart a thread that just got shut down. This one's on very thin ice.[/QUOTE]

- I didn't see that when I initially responded with my other comment. Sorry to skate the thin ice on you guys. I had a direction in mind, and poorly communicated it the first time. I tried to aleviate any implications of nasty brewing, to get some sort of direction going with this. I would agree that this post was heading in a downward spiral fast, until the Grocery and Produce put me on track with what i had imagined in my head, yet failed to put into plain old english. I mean no ill will.

Dan

Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

Dan,

The Mods here do not go out of their way to shut down a persons thread.
They have a very simple charge, Maintain Order.

I am glad to see that you have this thread going in a positive direction, and I do wish you the best of luck with this.

How long have you brewed beer/wine?
I notice that you are a fairly new member(less than a year) that can also lead to an early dismissal to a thread.

Do you have any current beers/wines in the works ?

Quick Reply