Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > minimalist experimental brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
DansBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default minimalist experimental brew

My first post was deleted by moderators because of the language and terminology used in describing my intent for an experimantal beer. I will avoid using the words I used previously, because I'm looking for insight for a particular method which I'm now dubbing minimalist. Please don't ask what words I used, and don't try to guess. I'm looking to brew a one gallon experimental batch of beer. I was playing with brew builder and found a recipe using minimal grain and no hops. I'm not going to post why, because it got my thread deleted last time. I'm trying to stick within a certain "specialty" style. The recipe is as follows, from brew builder for a 1 gallon batch.

1lb, 8oz of flaked oats(I'm only going to use oats

1lb 0oz of turbinado sugar(would like to use table sugar, any conversion?)

Nottingham dry yeast.

The OG is 1.075, FG is 1.019, abv 7.34.

I want this to be my foundation for the wort. What else can I add, without adding hops, or more grain, or extract to increase color and flavor? I'm thinking of an apple cinnamon, or citrus fruit profile. I do not want to use commercial additives, im looking for answers like slices of apple during the boil, or during fermentation. Things like that. Could I add teabags for flavor and color?
**note to moderators** please don't remove this thread. Its an experimental topic. I'm not looking for sloppy techniques here. I'm looking for a minimalist approach**

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Last edited by DansBrew; 12-23-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No malt, no hops. This is not beer, experimental or otherwise. All fermentables in this beer will come from the sugar- the oats will not convert without enzymes from malted grain. Basically, you're making cider with a nice head.

If you want apple-cinnamon, add cinnamon. If you want citrus, add citrus zest with ~5m left in the boil. Tea bags in the boil will overextract and add unpleasant tannins- if you go for tea, brew it separate and then add to the ferment.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Last edited by dwarven_stout; 12-23-2009 at 01:40 AM.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
DansBrew
Recipes 

I understand this isn't "beer" in the traditional sense, I posted in recipe because i thought maybe there was a style out there, however rare and obscure, that uses this type of approach. Obviously wine uses different ingredients, and lambic and bitters use others, as do mead and ciders... I just dont know where to begin... Thanks for the tip about adding with 5m left. I was thinking that since there is no hop schedule here that after steeping or whatever I would be doing here, that I would boil for about 15 or so minutes... Any thoughts on that?

Drinking and blogging does not mix. you strt frgeting to moeve your fingres rigth.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

What you're making here isn't beer. It doesn't matter what you're trying to do, but this aint beer. As far as that goes, why not put malt in it no matter what you're trying to do? Even if you're trying to use distillers yeast and create a clean base I think you might be best served using some malt in it. I'm possitive there are websites out there, VERY possitive, that cover what you're trying to do.

Without knowing exactly what you're trying for, it's fairly difficult to help. Obviously potatos, sweet potatos, carrots, and lots of root vegetables have lots of fermentable starch in them. Don't forget corn, cook all/any of them before putting in a fermenter. Also I'd suggest using a wine yeast since this aint beer. Good luck.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 12-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
DansBrew
Recipes 

Thanks... Vegetables with starch might help as well. I'm trying to use anything other than pils malts and all. Would whole grains like from bread work? I'm newer to brewing, New enough to not have experience in making my own recipe. I'll have to look into the ale yeast thing. Im not sure about what websites youre referring to, but I can tell you that distilling has nothing to do with why im asking...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try looking up prison wine on the Internet. There might be some websites that will be able to help you.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
DansBrew
Recipes 

Thats exactly the phrase I didn't want to see posted here...geez. I know beer needs malt. I know it needs hops. I want to know what you get when use use another means of getting fermentable sugar. Obviously its not gonna be for everyone. Just like some people don't like lambics or meads. I don't know. Maybe its a dead end. I want to see what happens when you try an alternative method of getting alcohol. I'm not looking to make moonshine or anything like that. I'm not looking to call my creation prison wine. I just want some insight on alternative brewing...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In case you didn't see it before

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/gap-...eriment-69313/

Old 12-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #9
DansBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Thanks! I did not see this when searching. This is more along the lines of what I'm talking about. I'm looking to avoid a LHBS, and go outside the box(pun intended for beer kit brewing) I'm definitely going to tinker now... Anyone else, feel free to add suggestions, or feedback if you've tried before...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dans. . .I wasn't trying to cause a problem. I was just trying to help.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Quick Reply