Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Milk Stout with Real Milk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #22
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Save spoiled milk for the slags!
This thread was worth resurrecting, if only for that!!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
jwboing
Recipes 

Default Help with the recipe please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnuttal View Post
I have been wondering this for a while, so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I made chai latte ale with skim milk. I added the milk when I transfered the beer to secondary. I didn't want milk fat in my beer because I think it would ruin the head. I was a little concerned at first that maybe the protein in the milk would spoil, but the results are a delicious clear and creamy chai ale. The protein will curdle, but then it just precipitates out of the beer. Obviously their is a history to using milk in beer. I don't think they used lactose when milk stout was invented.
This sounds delicious. I have access to a dairy farm with real raw milk and trying to find things to do with it. Beer would be a welcomed addition. Could you direct me to some more specific directions to attempt this please.

I was also wondering if i could just make my own lactose out of the milk?

Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #24
jwboing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
Bilk!

http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/01/31/milk-beer-bilk/

...I'd try mixing some milk with a stout and then report back on how tasty that was

I have access to raw milk from a dairy farm and trying to find things to do with it. Would you have any idea of this recipe?! Would also love to know how to make my own lactose out of raw milk.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
MobCraftBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Going to try this except with evaporated milk during the boil (mostly bc i want the concentrated form of the solids) as far as deriving lactose from milk, take whey from a cheese/yogurt process and add ethanol, the lactose should be insoluble and precipitate out, the outline of this method is described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose, not sure of the minimum purity the ethanol has to be (everclear would prbs work best) but the greater the purity, the more yield you should get. Do a little more reserach and see what you come up with. I'm looking to add sweetness (lactose) and creaminess (proteins) to a stout by adding the evaporated milk. I'm not worried about the fat ruining the head bc I am confident that if I overpitch the yeast a little they'll do a good job of sucking that up and leaving it at the bottom of the fermenter. Will post pics and a detailed experimental process overview this weekend. If it works out okay, it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper (and more available) than just adding lactose, and I could cut flaked oats/barley out of my bill as well, guess we'll see what happens. SCIENCE.

Everytime you drink or brew beer, you are contributing to a culture 7,000 plus years in the making, never forget where you came from, or what inspires you.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
jrnuttal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcorliss View Post
From 2008 BJCP guidelines:

History: An English style of stout. Historically known as “Milk” or “Cream” stouts, legally this designation is no longer permitted in England (but is acceptable elsewhere). The “milk” name is derived from the use of lactose, or milk sugar, as a sweetener.
Historically, they are known as "Milk" or "Cream" stouts, as the full body of this beer was originally borne from incorporating milk/unfermented sugar before bottle. The classic surviving example of milk stout is Mackeson's, who claimed that "each pint contains the energizing carbohydrates of 10 ounces of pure dairy milk".

Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #27
jrnuttal
Recipes 

Default History of Real Milk Stout

"Historically, they are known as "Milk" or "Cream" stouts, as the full body of this beer was originally borne from incorporating milk/unfermented sugar before bottle. The classic surviving example of milk stout is Mackeson's, who claimed that "each pint contains the energizing carbohydrates of 10 ounces of pure dairy milk". Milk stout was believed to be nutritious, and was recommended to nursing mothers. In 1875, John Henry Johnson first sought a patent for a milk beer, based on whey, lactose, and hops.[1] [Although, Mackeson is now made with lactose instead of whey], it still bears on its label the milk churn that has been its trademark since it was first brewed in 1907."

http://www.stoutday.com/about-stout-a-history-lesson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackeson_Stout#cite_note-1

Old 10-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
jrnuttal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwboing View Post
This sounds delicious. I have access to a dairy farm with real raw milk and trying to find things to do with it. Beer would be a welcomed addition. Could you direct me to some more specific directions to attempt this please.

I was also wondering if i could just make my own lactose out of the milk?
I boiled the skim milk with ginger and cardamom. Cooled it down in the pan with the lid on. Then I mixed this into the carboy with my beer as I transferred it to secondary. I let it sit for about a month at room temperature (~65 degrees). A large amount of protein settled out in the first few days. It seems like using whey could be better because most of the protein is already removed and can be used to make cheese.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
50quidsoundboy
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

guys i'm planning on making a lambic with real lamb, any tips?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #30
Hoser_brewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Lamb-ic is ok, but is better if you blend it after fermenting with a rosemary-mint gruit.

Gotta get the beer ready for hockey season. And it's ALWAYS hockey season.

drainbamage Likes This 

Quick Reply