Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mild Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
KCBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mild Bottling

Hey guys, I know this might be out of place but I have been reading up on the Mild threads and couldn't really get at a good answer, so I thought I'd post. I brewed up a mild last Thursday (6 days ago, Orfy's Mild Mannered adapted to 5 gal(AG)) and was wondering if you guys any tips on the schedule moving forward. The problem is that I don't know how such a light, mild beer will deal with extended times. Should I bottle at 10 days and then just proceed as normal from there(drink starting at 2 weeks)?

And what about a cold crash the night before bottling? (So far it is nothing but grain water hops and yeast, so a bit cloudy, but not bad)

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
gregs765
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always let my ales like this go two weeks, just to be safe. If you go shorter periods before bottling, I'd recommend checking the final gravity over a few days to make sure it's really done. A low-gravity mild should ferment out quickly, given a good pitching rate, but I always play on the safe side.

A mild won't keep as long has a higher-gravity ale, but it will still last a few months, easily. Unless it is really good, then it likely won't last that long anyway!

I don't bother with cold-crashing ales like this, especially if the point is to let them bottle condition. And unless they are very light in color, that perfect clarity isn't a big deal anyway.

Nice to see another mild fan out there. Cheers!

Greg

Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Milds are good for 4-5 months, but I tend to drink them faster.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply