Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Midwest's Oatmeal Stout kit- anyone tried it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Morbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Midwest's Oatmeal Stout kit- anyone tried it?

Oatmeal Stout w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Any comments or concerns before I buy it?

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Bumbler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I Brewed their Oatmeal Stout kit a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, the flavor was very good, but the body was lacking. Consider upgrading the yeast to a liquid Irish Ale. It'll add that little extra treat for the taste buds.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
Morbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the heads up.

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
DanVader
Recipes 

tastes great, less filling. I brewed some back in september. Taste is good, I thought it was a little thin myself. Got a bronze in the stout category at the ASH oktoberfest in phoenix 37 points overall. I added an ounce of liberty at 30min, not per recipe, or style, but the judges liked it. This was the all grain kit, used 2 packs of US-04 for the yeast

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
DanVader
Recipes 

sorry I should have clicked on your link and saw you were looking at the extract kit. definetly plan on doing something with the yeast, I think they just include the 6gm muntons so they can call the package a "kit" the muntons has "stuck fermentation" written all over it. the only extract kit i did from midwest was the powerpack porter, I used the muntons and had huge issues getting it to finish up.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVader View Post
sorry I should have clicked on your link and saw you were looking at the extract kit. definetly plan on doing something with the yeast, I think they just include the 6gm muntons so they can call the package a "kit" the muntons has "stuck fermentation" written all over it. the only extract kit i did from midwest was the powerpack porter, I used the muntons and had huge issues getting it to finish up.
I agree with ditching the muttons yeast. I had the same issues with on a Irish Red kit from Midwest.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be brewing this one Saturday, I took the White Labs upgrade.

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Quick Reply