*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Midwest Supplies Hop Head IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
JoeSpartaNJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Midwest Supplies Hop Head IPA

I plugged the ingredients for this kit into Hopville and without knowing the actual Alpha acid percentage (I used the default ones from Hopville), the result came to be just under 68 IBUs. This seems a little low to me for a double IPA.
Anyone have any experience with this kit? I plan on this being my 2nd all grain brew.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

HopSlam is about that IBU count and it is considered a Double/Imperial IPA.

No experience with that kit, but you should find out the aa% of the hops Midwest sent you for a more accurate estimate. Also, Tinseth/Rager/Garetz will all be different. Over time, you will be able to settle on one formula that best suits your brewing style.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
JoeSpartaNJ
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok. I was just checking. I haven't actually ordered or received this kit as of yet, I was just testing the numbers from what information is readily available.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've used the kit (all grain) and just kegged this again using local ingredients. It's a great beer. Not sure if it's a true Double but it's close. As for hops, I like them very hoppy and this is mildly hoppy. But, it's a very balanced beer. This time I added an extra ounce dry hopped (pellets not leaf) to give it a bit more nose.
This is a good, mid range IPA but 4 oz of hops in the boil seems to be average for IPA's these days (5 gallons)

Quick Reply