New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mesquite/Carob Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
evanos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Mesquite/Carob Beer

I was wondering if anyone knows about using mesquite pods or flour to brew something akin to beer. I have access to a lot of pods and no knowledge of how such a thing would be done. How about carob?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Wow. Quintuple post. That's quite the accomplishment.

This document, while a little old, may answer some questions. Look to pages 10-11 for milling observations and nutritional analyses of the different parts of the pod. The whole document looks to be informative. It looks like there are some good sugars and starches in the pods, you just might have to work to get them more or less isolated from the high protein/fat content, and get some enzymes in there.

edit: A link would help, wouldn't it?
http://etd.lib.ttu.edu/theses/available/etd-03252009-31295003638896/unrestricted/31295003638896.pdf

Last edited by GuldTuborg; 07-19-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Guld, looks like you forgot the link.

I just had DFH Wrath of Pecant which had some carob in it, although the pecan smoked malt was the biggest flavor.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation (cheese, bread, ginger beer plant, and of course plenty of funky beer).

Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
evanos
Recipes 

GuldTuborg, thanks a bunch for the link! Hopefully I can work some kind of brew magic and make something tasty. Cheers!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
evanos
Recipes 

A professor of mine sent me the .pdf file for the article "Sower 2002 - Homebrewing Indigenous Beverages of the Southwest - Zymurgy". I'm not sure how to post the pdf for viewing, but if you google it, you may have some luck

Old 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a copy of the PDF of the Sower article from Zymurgy that JuanMoore sent to me a while back if you want it.
I have brewed and bottled a mesquite wheat that came out great and and bottled a roasted mesquite stout with local grown black sphinx dates. I'll update with tasting notes as it matures a bit. If anyone is interested, I have been scouting local trees and will be harvesting pods starting in late summer as they begin to ripen. If anyone is interested in using some that doesn't have access to them, I will be happy to work out trades with them for other brewing ingredients/equipment. If there's some interest, I'll take it to the Classifieds forum.
Thanks,
GTG

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm harvesting pods this week for anyone that's interested. A medium flat rate box will hold about 3 lbs of pods and costs about $11.00 to ship.

GTG

Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Here's a link to a PDF of the article from Zymurgy magazine that describes the roasting and use process for the pods -
http://www.arizonahikers.com/GTG/Sower2002HomebrewingIndigenousBeveragesoftheSouthw estZymurgy.pdf

GTG

Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
ProbioGuy
Recipes 

Default Carob Beer

I recently started making ginger beer with sorghum as the sweetener, and it comes out awesome! I'm truly addicted, and I recently thought about what would be a nice flavoring for the beer.

I though carob would be good, and I looked it up. It seems the ancient Egyptians made carob beer, and I mixed a batch two days ago.

I just sample tasted it this morning, and it's very fizzy and tastes like beer! I'm very impressed so far, but it won't really be ready until two days from now.

This may be a regular thing with me, because I'm very interested in the health benefits of carob, so it goes well with my beer habit, which I engage in for the probiotic properties of home-brewed beer (I only brew it for four days at a time, so the yeast and lactobacillus cultures are still alive and help with digestion).

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply