Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - 'Merican Wheat IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
ktraver97ss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Ahhh so the wheat malt can do this also, good to know.

Ill remember that about the rice hulls too, thanks!

Weird thing too about this brew, used wlp001, femented 9 days at 68 degrees and it dropped to 1.018. FG was supposed to be 1.016 so we transferred to secondary and dry hopped for another 7 days. Went to bottle/keg last night and it went all the way down to 1.009. We mashed at 154 degrees for 60 min, but then the lauter took about 2 hours, so did that cause the extra fementables? Why would it go this low this quick?

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I guess I've been lucky, I use over 50% wheat malt in my wheat beers with a rectangle cooler and haven't had a stuck mash yet. (knock on wood)

Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Dang, really frustrated, 2 years brewing and just had my first keg that tastes like butterscotch! This beer should be a solid 65ibu ipa but it just tastes like a bland buttery mess. We dry hopped with an oz of citra and an oz of amarillo per 5g and there is little to no hop aroma. Now, it could be isolated to just this keg, or the fermentor that this came out of, but i have not tried the bottles or any of the other kegs yet. Since this beer fermented all the way down to 1.009 so you think i should add some corm sugar along with some more yeast to get these babys to clean this up?

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 11-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
ScrewyBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The trick to avoiding a stuck mash when brewing a wheat beer is in loading your mash tun with grains. I use 1/2 pound of rice hulls, I've soaked them and used them right out of the bag and there's no difference at all in the finished beer. Put a cup of hulls then a cup of barley until the hulls are gone then put a cup of wheat and a cup of barley and add your strike water, leaving room at the top of the tun for your flaked wheat.

Screwy's All Grain Wheat Beer

Stir your grains until you hit your mash temperature and then just lay the flaked stuff on the top of the grain and add enough strike water to cover them. Screw on the lid and mash for an hour or so. Slowly vorlauf a few gallons recirculating the collected wort to the top of the mash tun, I use a single infusion mash and fly sparge. Then just add your strike water and lauter until you've collected enough wort for your boil. I've done this at least ten times and have never suffered a stuck mash.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

For sure, from now on we are going to use the rice hulls, for the minimum cost its really worth not having another brew day like that. Never thought about keeping the flaked stuff on the top though, i guess that would help not gumming up the grain bed.

Any input on adding yeast and sugar to clear up my diacetyl?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #16
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Yeast cleanup

I've never tried cleaning up a keg of buttery beer.. but it sounds like it might work.

I am not sure you need to add any sugar. You don't really need yeast trying to eat more sugar for higher ABV... you just want them in there to consume/convert the diacytel into better tasting componants.

Perhaps, just rehydrate some dry yeast in some sterilized water, and add that to your room-temp keg. Keep the keg in the upper 60's, low-70's range. That should keep them active, and happy to look for diacytel to convert.

I'd also be sure to keep some CO2 on the top of that keg, and otherwise minimize contact with plain air.

Just a few thoughts... Good luck!
--LexusChris

Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Didn't get a chance to check on here, but thats exactly what we did. Just pitched a small amount of cleaned wlp001 in each and hoping for the best.

Thanks!

Quick Reply