Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > All-Grain - 'Merican Wheat IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
ktraver97ss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default All-Grain - 'Merican Wheat IPA

This will be our second time brewing this IPA, the first was only 15g and the hop schedule was bit different using Warrior for bittering and had some Simcoe in there. Brewing this version tomorrow to see the difference.

Planning 80% efficiency
25# Canadian 2 row
25# Wheat malt
4# Caravienne
4# Flaked wheat
2# Melanoidin

FWH - 1oz Amarillo
FWH - 1oz Citra
60 min - 2oz Amarillo
60 min - 2oz Citra
30 min - 2oz Amarillo
30 min - 2oz Citra
15 min - 2oz Amarillo
15 min - 2oz Citra
5 min - 2oz Amarillo
5 min - 2oz Citra
0 min - 2oz Amarillo
0 min - 2oz Citra

Dry hop - 1oz each Citra and Amarillo per 5g carboy

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

This was one of those stressful brews. Things went great in the begining, nailed the mash temp, had everything ready, then...the dreaded stuck mash. Things just went downhill from there. Had to blow c02 back up into the tun and stir to get it going again, and I mean this stuff was turning to cement in there. What I was expecting to be an hour lauter turned into 2 and a half hours. Then, I accidently tried to move our keggle that was fresh off the burner, with my bare hand. Fail. We had 2 other kegs our there we were cleaning and my brain didnt register that this was a hot one until it was too late. Finally we get to boil and the tornado sirens start going off and we brew in the garage. With the door closed the garage hit over 100 degrees in like 2 minutes, and in all the chaos to get everything inside we boiled over pretty bad.

Not that that all wasnt enough, we take a gravity after the boil at room temp and it reads 1.080 making our efficiency 107%. We double and triple check the reading with 3 different hydrometers and they are all reading the same...turns out we weighed our grain wrong and also only took the gravity from the 20g blichman, not a mix of both so we were way off. lol After figuring this all out we were at 1.065 and we had 7lbs of extra grain in there so our actual efficiency was 78%. What a clusterf*$k!!

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hey, where did the top part of the recipe go with the gravities and srm and stuff?

Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Any idea why we got a stuck mash with only 6% Flaked Wheat? Anyone?

Have never had that issue before when using 3% with this same recipe, you think that little % of the total grain can get the mash to stick like that? Will def be using rice hulls next time.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i was hoping you might be dry hopping with a Big Mac, for that real 'Murica flavor :P

Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

No, but ill drink it with bacon just to be safe!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If your water mash water was low because of the extra grain would that make a difference? I havent done an all grain yet just throwing it out there.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
ktraver97ss
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I dont think so, we compensated for the larger quantity of course. Im thinking its the shape of our mash tun. Its a 40g garbage can, so it is a bit tall and narrow, so this may be overdoing it with a wheat beer. Looks like we are going to have to start looking at upgrading or stick to 25g batches when using wheat or alot of flaked stuff. As least I am going to start adding rice hulls from here on out.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default rice hulls

Wheat malt has no husk, so it was your 50% wheat malt that did you in on the stuck mash.

I always use rice hulls whenever I mash with Wheat malt ... just a nice cheap insurance policy to avoid the dreaded stuck lauter. I usually use about 1/2 lb rice hulls for 5 lbs of wheat grain... not sure if that is above or below the usuall recommends...

..and, It was good hear that I'm not the only one with occasional crazy brewdays..!

--LexusChris

Old 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
harrydrez
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Soak and rinse those ricehulls before using them.

Quick Reply