Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Massive amounts of black malt...What's the worst that can happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Radegast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Massive amounts of black malt...What's the worst that can happen?

Every ingredient seems to get this sooner or later. Stuff like peated rye and honey malt have had SMaSHes made, but I'm curious about black patent malt. What's the most anyone's ever used in a beer? I was thinking a 1 gallon batch, with either a small amount of 6-row to convert or using amylase powder to mash a true black malt SMaSH.

I'm really curious about other folks' experiences with high amounts of black malt, whatever variety, debittered or non, etc. Are there any surprises or depth in this malt, or is it pretty much going to taste like a fireplace no matter what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 17

There isn't anything in black malt to mash. Virtually all the starch has been carbonized. You will end up making very low alcohol charcoal water. But, hey, it's your beer.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Hitokiri
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used about 10% in a stout and it came out quite ashy and astringent. It's gotten a lot better with time. I'm 4 months in and its starting to round out with some chocolate coffee flavors but they still take a back seat to the ashy-ness.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

In most recipes there is usually only a couple percent used so IMO anything more than that you will not be happy with the results. In fact it doesn't even need to be mashed, it can be just steeped to impart color.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply