Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Marris Otter Maltsers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
bjl110
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Marris Otter Maltsers

I have started using MO lately and am going to start buying it in bulk. A little research on here shows that there are several differences from maltster to maltster in MO, but the info I found is pretty scant and inconclusive. So....

Do you have a favorite MO? What kinds have you tried? Can you describe them and their differences?

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

They are all pretty interchangeable for most styles, though there are differences between them. I typically use Thomas Fawcett and Barids, the latter for styles like porter, stout, brown ale, and IPA where you'll cover up much of the malt character but still want that extra bit of complexity. Fawcett, Simpsons, and Crisp are all excellent MO's, though I think the TF has a bit richer flavor. I've not used Glen Eagle yet. The only one I don't like is Muntons, as it is the blandest of the ones I've used.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

I agree completely with bierhaus. T&F is my favorite followed by Simpsons and Crisp. They are all good but there are differences.

Quick Reply