Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maris Otter VS. UK Pale Ale Malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
bluegrassbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Maris Otter VS. UK Pale Ale Malt

I am a fairly new home brewer and I am wondering what effect substituting Maris Otter will have on a recipe that calls for British pale ale malt? What will be different about the resulting beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
bluegrassbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I found my own answer here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/maris-otter-malt-vs-2-row-73206/

Old 11-06-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

If you want to brew the same beer in the future, then it would be best to stay with a single cultivar such as MO. It is a partular strain, so you know what you will be getting. British Pale Ale malt is a generic term and could vary more from one purchase to the next.

Also, MO is referenced much more in this forum, so it would be easier for you to duplicate more recipes.

OK, I admit it, I just LOVE Maris Otter!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
bluegrassbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
If you want to brew the same beer in the future, then it would be best to stay with a single cultivar such as MO. It is a partular strain, so you know what you will be getting. British Pale Ale malt is a generic term and could vary more from one purchase to the next.

Also, MO is referenced much more in this forum, so it would be easier for you to duplicate more recipes.

OK, I admit it, I just LOVE Maris Otter!
Thanks for your response. I have been using MO because my LBHS had it in bulk. I have been using it in all the recipes I have brewed in place of 2 row malt or British pale ale malt. I LOVE the way my beers have been tasting. I was just curious on how much differently they might taste if I had actually followed the original. I think I will keep on using MO as my main base malt.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep, MO is a British Pale Ale malt (like Golden Promise & Halcyon) -- just a particular strain of pale ale malt. It's also a 2 row malt, although almost always when folks refer to 2 row malt they are not referring to pale ale malt. Mostly when people refer to 2 row they mean American 2 row, and MO isn't really a substitute for this. They are fairly different.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Quick Reply