Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maris Otter Malt (vs 2-Row)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #21
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is the expected conversion of sugars expected for Maris Otter? I was told at the LHBS that I should look for 1lb/gal = 1.028 and so 10lbs per batch would get me 1.056. Is that just a average on English pale malts or is that for Maris Otter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNQ3X View Post
Okay, here it is in a nutshell:

If you're brewing an American style, use American ingredients.

If you're brewing an English style, use English ingredients.

If you're brewing a Belgian style, use Belgian ingredients.

Ad nauseum.

Why try to approximate (or half-ass) your way into something when a better ingredient or combination of ingredients is readily available?
This is true if you are trying to replicate a beer or trying your best to fit a style. However if you just want to make a tasty IPA then MO is an excellent base grain.

It is much much cheaper for me to buy a 55# bag of base malt and work my recipes from that. So I often make beers with nontraditional combinations. They are still really good even if they don't quite fit the mold.
In which case if you are using US 2-row and want to make a beer closer to an English style, a little Victory can improve the flavor.
If you are making an American Pale with MO then you will have something with more malt flavor than expected so reduce or drop any Munich or Victory in the recipe.

Craig

Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #23
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
What is the expected conversion of sugars expected for Maris Otter? I was told at the LHBS that I should look for 1lb/gal = 1.028 and so 10lbs per batch would get me 1.056. Is that just a average on English pale malts or is that for Maris Otter?
I'd suggest downloading one of the brewing software packages such as BeerSmith. BeerSmith gives 1.038 as the potential for Marris Otter although I'm sure this would very slightly between maltsers. However, using 1.028 x 10 lbs to come up with 1.056 would assume 100% efficiency so perhaps your LHBS factored an assumed efficiency into their calculation of 1.028 (i.e. 75% efficiency for 1.037 would give you 1.056 for 10 lbs in a 5 gallon batch).

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #24
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
BeerSmith shows Maris Otter's Potential Yield at 1.038. Don't know what that means though.

In BeerSmith, 10 lbs Maris Otter at 70% eff gives me 1.053. Pale 2-Row US gives me 1.051, Munich Malt gives me 1.052 and Pilsner 2-Row German gives me 1.052. All base malts should be right in that range.

Edit: Heh, JF and I were doing the same math!

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #25
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

both jfrizzel and Chriso, thanks. I don't see myself getting Beersmith any time soon as I am still learning, I just got a bag of malt and couldn't find the info on the net. When I get some odd 15 brews under the belt I will look at such programs. So then here is my thinking. I will use the 10lbs per 5gal the first time and if I get a good conversion I might back down on weight as I am looking for about 4.5-5%. Make it a good drinking porter, not too heavy. I just hope that I get a good conversion. Doing the brew manana so I guess that I could inform you how it goes and get some pointers back.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #26
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Use a free one like Suds in the meantime. Or you can use Beer Tools online for free, you just have to register an account. Software is a must have. Otherwise you find yourself scribbling formulas all over the place, and in the process of RDWHAHB'ing, transposing numbers that result in big mistakes.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 AM   #27
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Ditto ^^^^^

Download a free trial of BeerSmith or Promash or one of the ones Chriso mentioned for now, but get something so you have a way to figure out your temperatures, gravities and IBUs. The software is a great learning tool, especially in the beginning where you are now.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #28
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Where in Illinois are you located or better yet, what HBS is this? $7.99 for 10 lbs of MO is a great price.
Champaign Urbana. My LHBS is Friar Tuck.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #29
Skipstr21
Recipes 

ChemE...Where are you at in Illinois? There is a great source for Bulk grains in the St. Louis area. 55# sacks of Maris Otter go for around $.69/lb. Base malts are only sold by the 55# sack though. Specialty grains are available in 5/10/20# quantities. Let me know if you need the contact info.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #30
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean View Post
I use MO for my base for everything.
+1. It's a nice-a.