Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maris Otter Malt (vs 2-Row)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
ChemE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Maris Otter Malt (vs 2-Row)

Okay, I've been doing a tremendous amount of research lately in anticipation of my first AG brew and have been checking into sources of inexpensive base grains. About the best I can do is for 2-row $1.27/pound (delivered) from Northern brewer. I was just at my LHBS today and they have 10# bags of Marris Otter malt for $7.99 so after tax (1% on food!) I'm looking at $8.07 per ten pound bag. I asked and these were 6 weeks old. So three questions:

1) Is 6 weeks too long for base grains to sit around in the LHBS?
2) Can I substitute Marris Otter for 2-row or are they just totally different (it seems from my research that they are both pale malts and should be interchangeable but its easier to ask than drink 2 gallons of so-so brew)?
3) And finally, can I use Maris Otter malt in place of 2-row or should I make adjustments based on color, diastatic power, etc.?

I just had my first few glasses of barleywine with lunch and man oh man is that stuff good and different than beer!

Thanks,
ChemE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maris Otter is a type of 2-row barley malt: typically thought of as English style. I notice my LHBS stocks American (Briess) 2-row, Maris Otter, and another Belgian 2-row. Guess it depends on what style of beer that you're looking for....Maris is earthier compared to an American 2-row. Would certainly be appropriate for any British style beer, and can be used for German or American recipes as well.

As for age: I wouldn't think several weeks being at a store does anything to grain: as long as its being stored alright, I thought grain had a pretty good shelf life.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Good deal, buy as much as you can use.
As long as it is uncrushed and stored in good conditions the malt should be good for about a year.
Maris Otter is a premium 2-row malt. Usually quite a bit more expensive than regular 2-row. It will add a fuller flavor with some biscuitness to the beer. You should be able to use it where ever you would use 2-row. However it is slightly darker and will produce a darker and more flavorful beer all else being equal. Also is does not have quite a much enzymes so you may have problems with high adjunct beers (> 40% flaked grains).

Craig

Old 07-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts

I use Maris Otter for my Irish Red and for my Pale Ale. It's very malty and tasty, similar to using lightly toasted 2-row plus some biscuit malt.

- Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use MO for my base for everything.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network
klug Likes This 
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

I keep two types of bulk grain in my brewhouse. Crisp Maris Otter and Dingemans Belgian Pils. I make everything with those two.

Maris Otter is a fine malt

Old 07-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone View Post
I keep two types of bulk grain in my brewhouse. Crisp Maris Otter and Dingemans Belgian Pils. I make everything with those two.

How interesting. Dingemans Belgian Pils was another bag I spotted there (believe I saw 4 or 5) and they are also $7.99 for 10#. I sure do appreciate all the help.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone View Post
indeed it is!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Can Maris Otter be substituted for regular ol' 2-row? Depends. Maris Otter is very distinct, compared to, say, Briess 2-row 'Brewer's Malt'. American 2-row is very neutral, and will not have a significant flavor or color impact on the finished beer. Maris Otter has a distinctly crackery, malty flavor.

If you planning to compete with, say, an American Amber Ale made with Maris Otter, you might get dinged on flavor, because it'll throw the flavor off. But if you're making Ordinary Bitter, it's the bomb!

Just sayin'.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Would Maris Otter be a good grain for a UK-flavored SMaSH... say with some Yakima Goldings?

Quick Reply