Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maple syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Dobie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maple syrup

Want to brew a porter with maple syrup in it. Should I put it in the boil or the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Secondary. That's one expensive fermentable and you don't want to waste any flavor.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm about to use maple syrup and from my research I'm am going to prime bottles with it. If you put it in the secondary, fermentation will just start over again and youll have to wait a lot longer to get basically the same result as boiling with it, not a lot of maple flavor. I usually keg but am going to bottle just for the maple syrup.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

How much are you using? You could use a cup to prime and the rest in the fermenter. The amount needed for priming doesn't sound like enough to really change the flavor.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Use it post fermentation, or once it's slowed down significantly. Also, use grade B syrup or you'll be seriously disappointed. I did a maple brown ale, using grade A syrup (not cheap either) and you couldn't even tell. I since picked up a good amount of grade B syrup (from Amazon of all places) which has TONS more flavor and smells divine when fermenting. I actually have a maple mead/wine in process right now that I used it in. Actually, I only used grade B syrup for the fermentables, no other sources of sugar for the yeast to eat.

BTW, you'll get VERY different flavors from the syrup if you toss it into the boil, compared with using it once cooled.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 504 Posts

put it in secondary, and ideally prime with it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
If you put it in the secondary, fermentation will just start over again and youll have to wait a lot longer to get basically the same result as boiling with it, not a lot of maple flavor.
i disagree, adding to secondary is much less destructive than adding to the boil. problem with boiling is volatility - all that movement in the wort (rolling boil) and the steam rising off it = aromatics being carried away. all the CO2 escaping during primary fermentation = more loss. while adding maple syrup will start another fermentation, it will be minor compared to primary fermentation so less loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
How much are you using? You could use a cup to prime and the rest in the fermenter. The amount needed for priming doesn't sound like enough to really change the flavor.
don't use a volume, use weight. use an online priming calculator to figure out how much syrup to add and then weigh it. http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ has maple syrup as an option. also, better to be conservative when using maple syrup because there is variability between brands/sources. unlike sugar, maple syrup isn't pure.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts

IF you keg, you could add some to the keg shortly before you put it in to chill. Swirl it around so that it has time to mix in and then get it cooling down (to prevent fermentation kicking off in the keg). IF you've already purged the head space of the keg, then it should be safe to simply rock the keg some to get it to mix. You could also reserve some of the finished beer, warm it up slightly, add the syrup to that, making sure it's mixed well. Then pour it all into the keg (carefully to prevent oxidation).

I'm thinking about doing that with a future batch, so that I get a more pronounced maple flavor in the brew.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

@ sweetcell. I was only talking about adding at flame out, Ive seen noone talk about imparting maple flavor through the boil. Based on prior posts of yours, I think you were some of my maple research. Was it you that went on an expensive maple kick adding it at all sorts of times and ways?

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
@ sweetcell. I was only talking about adding at flame out, Ive seen noone talk about imparting maple flavor through the boil. Based on prior posts of yours, I think you were some of my maple research. Was it you that went on an expensive maple kick adding it at all sorts of times and ways?
ah, ok yes, flame-out is better than boil, but secondary is better still.

nope, that wasn't my expensive maple kick. my in-laws own a sugar bush in VT so i have access to a lot of maple syrup. any such kick i would go in wouldn't be too expensive for me (yes, i married up - in a lot of ways). some day i'd like to brew several batch of maple beer and compare different addition times, but for now i have too many other recipes that keep nudging their way into my schedule.

another thing i'd like to do is make a beer using maple sap instead of water. papazian describes this in The Complete Joy, and since I can... i should! accepting advance trade offers now...

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm with you guys, the later you add the sugar the more flavor it will have. The flavor seems to get burned off by boiling and some by early fermentation. If you do end up priming with syrup you can calculate exactly how much you need for the volumes of co2... or look it up on this blog post:

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...orn-syrup.html

Quick Reply