Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maple Sugar for maple flavored beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
TLProulx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Maple Sugar for maple flavored beer

Does anyone ever tried using maple sugar instead of maple syrup for making maple flavored beer?

My maple products supplier suggested me to use maple sugar because it was least costly than syrup. 1 uk gallon of syrup is around 45$ and 1 kg of sugar is around 15-20$. The sugar is syrup boiled until no water is left then it's grind in small granule.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
TLProulx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLProulx View Post
Does anyone ever tried using maple sugar instead of maple syrup for making maple flavored beer?

My maple products supplier suggested me to use maple sugar because it was least costly than syrup. 1 uk gallon of syrup is around 45$ and 1 kg of sugar is around 15-20$. The sugar is syrup boiled until no water is left then it's grind in small granule.
What I really want to know is the conversion factor of maple syrup to granule and when should I add it to the beer (boiling or secondary).

I read somewhere that the maple syrup specific gravity was around 1.32 to 1.37. Maybe I could add maple sugar to water until the S.G. of the sweeten water reach 1.32; thus making some kind of maple flavored sweet water.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 42

$45 is darn good for 1 Imperial gallon of syrup. Best I did was $56 when I was in Montreal.

Maple sugar should work fine. You'll have to make sure that it's granulated fine enough for the yeast to get to it. OR, you could boil it with a bit of water until it's soluble.

You'll probably get more flavor from sugar than from syrup.

I recently used 2 cans (19oz each) into 4-gallons(US) of stout. It adds a slight maple flavor, but not that much. I might bump it up to 3 cans for 4-gallons next time.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Quick Reply