Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maple Cubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
endorphines
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maple Cubes?

Hi there. My question here is, can you put maple cubes in your secondary like you would oak? I'm doing a breakfast stout, and last time I added some maple syrup to the primary. this time i was going to put oak cube in too, and add more maple syrup because the maple got totally overpowered by all the other flavours. Problem is that I wayyy overshot my OG and I don't want to add any more sugar to this batch.
So can i do this? and would i do it just like i would oak? or is there anything special to consider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
vinyl_key
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've wanted to do a maple stout for a while, but it's still on my to-do list. I was thinking of getting a maple plank meant for BBQ'ing, cutting it up into cubes, and throwing them in the oven up to about a medium toast. After that, I would think you could just use them as if they were just oak cubes.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
rinhaak
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I must admit that I wasn't familiar with maple cubes. I had to do a quick Google search; thanks, endorphines, for introducing me to them!

In answer to your question: aren't maple cubes just highly non-dissolvable maple syrup? I imagine it would have to impart some small level of sugars, but from what I've read online, it appears it couldn't add too much sugar as these things don't seem to be able to dissolve in even boiling water.

Quick Reply