The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Malty Flavor Target

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Malty Flavor Target

Seeking knowledgable input on a potential recipe:

I'm trying to piece together a recipe which could be considered by many hop-heads to be a "malt bomb". I tend to dig the malt end of the spectrum (vs. the hops), and i'm looking for something with fair malty sweetness, but moreso favoring a malty flavor.

I read the other recent thread about a non-base malt base using Munich and I'm considering the grainbill to consist of (ballpark):
23% Maris Otter
72% Munich
5% Aromatic
and mashing around 157F

IBUs around 20 using EKG - just enough to keep it from becoming stomach-turning malty/sweet.

What are all your thoughts on attaining the malty side of brewing and the above ingredients?

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Never having made a "malt bomb" myself, your recipe seems to be along the right lines, especially the Munich malt.

I would recommend selecting a yeast that yields a malty profile-- like an Oktoberfest or Munich lager yeast, or even a clean ale yeast with attenuation on the low side.

Planning: n/a

Old 06-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As far as yeast, i've got London Ale, in mind...

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Munich as a base has always produced pretty malty beers for me, especially with darker ales like Porters. You could also add some melanoidin malt in there as well...or if you wanted to go full-bore, you could do a decoction mash.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply