Maltodextrin and Sweetness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
So I was reading The Fat Duck Cookbook - for all you non-foodies, it's like a Bible of Molecular Gastronomy - and Blumenthal claims that Maltodextrin not only has sweetness, but was too sweet for one of his dishes. Later, its clear that it does ferment a little (but not much). Now, beer making is different than cooking, but this raises the question - does Maltodextrin have sweetness?

There are a range of products all called maltodextrin. The sweetness depends on the exact mix small and large sugar chains, AKA DE = dextrose equivalents. What we use in brewing is near the low end (DE=5) and about 1/10th as sweet as sucrose.

I just over did a maltodextrin addition in an Imperial Pilsner. It's has a flavor in large concentrations, I would not call it sweet but it is easily identifiable, someone who doesn't know beer could call it sweet.

By the way a drop of BEANO took care of Dextrin taste, by breaking down the long chain dextrins so the yeast could ferment them out.

Back