Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Maltodextrin Substitute?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
gravlbely
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maltodextrin Substitute?

I'm brewing a porter today and wanted to add maltodextrin but my LHBS doesn't keep a supply of the stuff and I was wondering what I can use as a substitute. Possibly: LME, Molasses, Maple Syrup, etc. I've never used maltodextrin before in a beer so I have no idea. However, I've taken a gal. of 1st runnings of a stout, boiled it down for an hour and a half to get a syrup and added it to the last 20 mins. of the boil before. Came out great. Should I just do this with my porter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about using some Cara-Pils?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravlbely View Post
I'm brewing a porter today and wanted to add maltodextrin but my LHBS doesn't keep a supply of the stuff and I was wondering what I can use as a substitute. Possibly: LME, Molasses, Maple Syrup, etc. I've never used maltodextrin before in a beer so I have no idea. However, I've taken a gal. of 1st runnings of a stout, boiled it down for an hour and a half to get a syrup and added it to the last 20 mins. of the boil before. Came out great. Should I just do this with my porter?
Maltodextin gives you body and mouthfeel. You definitely do not want to use molasses and maple syrup as a sub. This will probably give you the opposite of what you want. Try flaked wheat, flaked barley, or carapils.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
gravlbely
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
Maltodextin gives you body and mouthfeel. You definitely do not want to use molasses and maple syrup as a sub. This will probably give you the opposite of what you want. Try flaked wheat, flaked barley, or carapils.
I'm actually brewing BM's black pearl porter http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/bla...rter-ag-24243/. It calls for maltodextrin and lactose in the boil. I'm already using flaked oats in the mash. I don't really want to change the grain bill, that's why I'm looking for a substitute in the boil. Maybe I should just do the boil down method I originally did with the stout?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

The only substitute for maltodextrin is to use a dextrin malt in the mash. The other adjuncts you listed will all ferment out and make the beer drier.

Since you liked the results you got with the stout, why not try it in the porter? Boiling down wort creates unfermentable complex sugars.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Or you can mash at a higher temp to retain more of the dextrin long chain sugars, try 158.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
gravlbely
Recipes 

I'm gonna do the boil down method this time and get some maltodextin for the next batch and compare the two. The only thing is, I'll have to adjust for pulling out a gal from the first runnings and it'll be hard to recreate w/out doing so and truly compare the two. Oh well, RDWHAHB, right? BTW, I found Lactose at my local health foods store, and they said they would start carrying Maltodextrin if I asked them too.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Another source of MD is stores that cater to body builders.

Quick Reply