Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Malt tea beverage, quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
ratm4484
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malt tea beverage, quick question

I was going to give a shot at making a twisted tea type malt beverage shortly. I was wondering how the brewing process and fermentation would affect the flavor of the tea or any other fruit flavoring I might add. Should I make the tea strength the level that I would prefer it to taste, or should it be stronger or weaker? I don't want the flavor to get stronger or weaker from the brewing process. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
D-brewmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't most commercial alcoholic teas use high proof alcohol mixed with tea flavoring and sugar? I don't know that they actually ferment anything containing tea? So if you are trying to make a twisted tea, I would probably follow that methodology, ferment something as neutrally as possible, highly fermentable sugars, (perhaps some dextrine to add extra sweetness?) clean yeast strain, maybe semi lager it to make it crisp as possible, no hops etc. And then after it is done fermenting, brew up some really strong tea, and mix the two, add some priming sugar, and let it carbonate. And if you want the really sweet stuff, you might have to do something to the alcoholic side of the brew to kill off the yeast, like pasturising it, then adding the tea and a bunch of sugar then force carbonate it. If you don't de-activate the yeast, I imagine you would have gushers all over the place if you made it as sweet as the commercial versions I have tried. Anyhow, good luck, and have fun!

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply