Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Malt Liquor Recipes (All Grain)???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
BribieG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My attempt at Malt Liquor

Just bumping this old thread. Here in Australia we can't get Malt Liquor but we do import some of the 9% ABV headbanger lagers from the UK - I don't mind them occasionally.
After a bit of research on Malt Liquors I've done this attempt (pitching today)

There are two separate mashes, a main mash and a cereal mash.
Excuse the metric, pls feel free to convert - a kilo is about 2.2 lbs.

4 kg two row high diastatic Pilsener malt
330 g Carapils
200g Melanoidin

60 mins at 66 degrees Celsius

Cereal mash:

1 kg polenta and 1 kg rice boiled to a mush, cooled down to a high mash temperature, then 1kg of extra malt stirred into the mixture to give a temperature of 70 degrees celsius. The thick paste immediately collapses into a runny soup which is alarming but neat
Hold for 20 minutes then raise to boiling. At this stage US breweries would tip the boiling 'cooker mash' into the main mash to bring the whole lot to sach rest temperature.
My maths are awful so I just let the cereal mash cool down to sach rest then mixed into main mash.

From then on, a normal mashout and boil with 20g Chinook 60 minutes and 600g of white sugar in the boil. I've probably way over hopped it - sorry rappers and homies who may be offended by such astringent bitterness

I'm fermenting with US-05 and a short lagering at 4 degrees before kegging. Then I'll run it off into forties - yo - and store cold, I'll fizz them individually with my blue carb cap before drinking as I'd like to quaff straight out of the forties without getting yeast swirling up.

I'll post when I have a picture

Michael
Queensland
Australia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
BribieG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Man this stuff should be illegal. Turned out fantastic. I've decided to call it "Midnight Train Malt Liquor" after Roger Miller's song:

(Third boxcar, Midnight Train, destination Bangor Maine). I think after a couple of forties of this you'll travel a bit further than Bangor.

Smooth smooth flavour and very nice malt overtones from the pilsener malt. However I'm pretty well hammered from just half a forty in ten minutes. hehe.

Michael
Queensland
Australia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply