Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Malt liquor discussion and recipe thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #1
darkestdays
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malt liquor discussion and recipe thread.

Oh man, just tried my first Steel Reserve (Hmm) after quite a while, and I was wondering "how do they get such a high abv beer (8.1%) and sell it for such a cheap price? ($1.19/ 24 oz)" Are there a ton of cheap adjucts in this? Are they selling at cost? Will this make me go blind? I really have no idea.

Obviously the price reflects the taste of the beer, but it does indeed have the ability to get you F'd up after a couple. A lot of people must drink malt liquor, because there would be no one selling it if no one drank it, and I do not think that it is a hobo-only beverage. Someone's buying it. Fess up.

The point of this thread is to discuss the favorites and least favorites in the malt liquor world. It is not necessary to point out the superiority of "non-malt liquor" beers (craft or even BMC beers) because it is obvious. There is no question that there are other beers way better than malt liquor. I just want to hear different opinions, and maybe get a few recipes and see how they compare to other homebrew recipes.

Some malt liquor beers that seem to be favorable in some ways...
-Mickeys
-Steel reserve (it's okay I guess, to me anyways (8.1% in MI, 6% in TN )
-Big Bear

Some malt liquors that I believe are the devil...
-Camo silver can (or any Camo for that matter)
-King Cobra
-Hurricane

Some questions that I would like answered...
-Most of these are lagers right? How would they compare if brewed with ale yeast?
-Do companies brewing these beers use lower quality (cheaper) malts? How do they compare to the malts normally used?
-Some of these malt liquors say that they use hops on the side of the can. Are they lying?
-What other aspects of malt liquor should I know about (Really, will I go blind)?

Edumacate me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
darkestdays
Recipes 

Also, I just wanted to say that I really do not like malt liquor that much. It is something that I will try occasionally, but it seems so different from everything else that is out there. Maybe not in a good way, but I would like to find out a little more about it. I am actually curious to find out what makes malt liquor "malt liquor."

Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestdays View Post
-Most of these are lagers right? How would they compare if brewed with ale yeast?
They would have far too much flavor srsly...they use the lager yeast to minimize the flavors and make it as clean and flavorless as possible.

Quote:
-Do companies brewing these beers use lower quality (cheaper) malts? How do they compare to the malts normally used?
Yes, they use cheap malts, such as 6-row, and use cheap adjuncts, usually corn or rice. It helps thin the beer down, again minimizing flavor and making for a more full fermentation and a drier beer.

Quote:
-Some of these malt liquors say that they use hops on the side of the can. Are they lying?
Of course they use hops. Malt Liquor still needs some balance. It's just a beer. "malt liquor" doesn't really mean anything.

See here: Malt liquor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
-What other aspects of malt liquor should I know about (Really, will I go blind)?
Nope. It's just a heavier american-style lager. Budweiser actually makes their beer in high gravities and then dilutes it down. This is just diluted down less.

Quote:
Edumacate me.
You has been edumacated.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
darkestdays
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
They would have far too much flavor srsly...they use the lager yeast to minimize the flavors and make it as clean and flavorless as possible.

Yes, they use cheap malts, such as 6-row, and use cheap adjuncts, usually corn or rice. It helps thin the beer down, again minimizing flavor and making for a more full fermentation and a drier beer.

Of course they use hops. Malt Liquor still needs some balance. It's just a beer. "malt liquor" doesn't really mean anything.

See here: Malt liquor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope. It's just a heavier american-style lager. Budweiser actually makes their beer in high gravities and then dilutes it down. This is just diluted down less.

You has been edumacated.
Edumacation has been processed.

You should have posted your fav/ least fav.

BTW I've been trying your partial mash technique, and all I have to say is thank you! I've been getting around 75% efficiency. You look like a metal head in your PM thread. If that's true, then you should come see Chimaira and Killswitch with me.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
TurboBrew
Recipes 

If I'm poor from buying ingredients and drank too much and caused my pipeline to go dry, I really don't mind Mickey's in the 40oz bottle. It's not that bad. Better than BMC and DIRT cheap. 40oz is around $2.50 I think. But that situation usually never happenns.

Funny thing though, in any other container besides the 40oz, they're disgusting....well...more disgusting.

I'm married to yeast.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 AM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6067 Times on 5302 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post

they use the lager yeast to minimize the flavors and make it as clean and flavorless as possible.
I used to love Mickey's Ice - but it had two unique tastes: champagne, or skunk's ass.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:16 AM   #7
JBooze
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How is it that you are naming malt liquors and didn't mention "O.E."?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

St. Ides FTW!

j/k

Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
no1likesme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't really mind the occasional 40 (edward 40 hands ftw), I usually stick with either Steel Reserve, Mickeys, or King Cobra.

an interesting drink I made up while drunk.

Blue Steel:
12oz Steel Reserve
2oz blue curacao

it is actually pretty good.

Bottled: Irish Stout
Bottled: American Pale Ale
Bottled: Cherry/pomegranate apfelwein

YOU LOST THE GAME!!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Edumacation has been processed.

You should have posted your fav/ least fav.

BTW I've been trying your partial mash technique, and all I have to say is thank you! I've been getting around 75% efficiency. You look like a metal head in your PM thread. If that's true, then you should come see Chimaira and Killswitch with me.
Probably can't make that show but I am volunteering to be the DD if we go to see Destruction and Krisiun on Monday.

I'd have to go with Mickeys for malt liquor

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply