Malt Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharres

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on what the different kinds of extract are made from? I'm trying to formulate a couple of recipes. One for a SMaSH and the other for a porter. Unfortunately I don't have the capability to do more than a partial mash on the stove top at the moment. As such, I need to use extract, but I want to know what type of base grains I'm using.

Alexander's pale is 100% North American 2-row Klages malt. Briess Gold and Pilsen Light are mashed with North American 2-row and Pils malts respectively, though each contain a proportion of CaraPils. Briess's Organic Light extracts are mashed with 100% organic North American 2-row. Cooper's I know nothing about. Muntons does not list ingredients.

Anyway, just because you can't do a full five-gallon boil doesn't mean you can't do all-grain. There's no law says you have to do five-gallons or larger batches! I'm a stovetop brewer, too; I just do 3-gallon batches. Yeah, it's less beer in the package, but I justify it like this: I get to brew more often, have more varieties in the bottle, and play around more. I'd never do 5 gallons of mocha porter, but 3 gallons? Maybe. ;)

In fact, the SMaSH in my sig - of which I've only got something like three bottles left - was all-grain on the stovetop. 3-gallon batch, and yummy as the day is long.

You want my opinion, if you want to do a SMaSH partial mash, go organic. Get some Briess organic 2-row and mash that. Bring it up to 5 gallons with some Briess Organic light extract. From all the information I can find, it's the exact same malt. Get yourself some organic hops, bottle-condition with organic cane sugar, and be all hippy! :D I think I might go organic for my next batch. Dunno.

Cheers!

Bob

Back