Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Making Pabst Blue Ribbon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 04:30 AM   #31
oscarflytyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Love the thoughts on PBR...

Two things about PBR

1) The south does not have the corner on rednecks. From Indiana/live in AL now. Have yet to find a southern redneck who has ridden around in July, with a hot 12 pack of PBR in the back of the truck, shooting groundhogs in the bean fields - and, YES, you drink a warm PBR whether you whack the groundhog or not!

2) THE best two beers I have EVER had in my entire life were two PBRs pulled from the bottom of an ice chest - after bailing hay all day. Under an oak tree after putting the hay up. Chugged them fast as I could - and got dizzy and damned near passed out 'cause they were so cold!

If you find a good PBR recipe - I would love to have it and brew it as a lark!

And, btw - the only beer I have ever spit out (other than a soured dark Heineken) was Falstaff - now, talk about pissing in the bucket....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #32
JBC98C
Recipes 

A little late, but I'm going to chime in. I have a few different beers in my fridge. Whenever I'm feeling thirsty I will normally grab a pbr. Of course, right now I'm out of home brew. It all got drank in two days. It may be cheap but it is a very tasty cheap beer. And, no two cans taste the same.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #33
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
As I grew up in Detroit, during the riots in the 60s, one of my earliest memories is of seeing the big florescent Pabst Brewery sign outside my bedroom window, and being able to smell them brewing the beer.
I just thought I would share that tidbit with you all
I bid you all a fine day!

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #34
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

How about this recipe?

BeerTools.com Recipe Library - Blue Chicken III

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 AM   #35
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

And I thought I was an ass.
http://hopville.com/recipe/76985/sta...ipes/pbr-clone
Never brewed. I will soon. I have the six row. I think I'll mix it with some 2-row. I think there may be some crystal in PBR too...not sure yet.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #36
Brodie2571
Recipes 

Over here in Newark Delaware the main beer of choice is Pabst Blue ribbon, I live With a major PBR junkie!!!

My main Belief about the "cheap Beer" Ideal is that there is nothing bad about the brew, yes to many Brewsters they may lack taste and body and head retention however thay have mastered a certien aspect of brewing and that is business.

I'm not a fan of any "Cheap Brew" except when I'm broke I can grab a 30 pack for 14.50 HA HA.
I agree with who said that american lagers and all "Cheap Brews" are hard to replicate indeed, But we must all pay dues to the brew masters who Aided us in our ... I won't say addiction but more'ly a love or a passion so to speak about searching for that Specific taste of ambition, hope, dreams and everything else rainbows are made of.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #37
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Great thread.

I feel like the Lone Ranger here (old series, old thread). To me PBR is a CLEAN, basic lager. Great for being VERY drinkable, although it is like a start to a well planned lager. I am looking to clone mainly to build upon and enhance. 4.99 a six pack of 16 oz.ers? My dad and uncle Porter had it right. I remember them throwing these down 40 years ago, like the world was going to end!

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #38
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmantoo View Post
Great thread.

I feel like the Lone Ranger here (old series, old thread). To me PBR is a CLEAN, basic lager. Great for being VERY drinkable, although it is like a start to a well planned lager. I am looking to clone mainly to build upon and enhance. 4.99 a six pack of 16 oz.ers? My dad and uncle Porter had it right. I remember them throwing these down 40 years ago, like the world was going to end!
Nah, you're not alone, PBR is one of the few domestic macrolagers I do drink, along with the re-released Strohs. And, though not domestic Labatts Blue.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #39
bmurph
Recipes 

This is great stuff...I will agree that PBR doesn't have a leg to stand on when you consider it next to a real craft beer. But I don't have 10 bucks to spend on a six pack every other day.

For its price and class, it is without a doubt the most drinkable and flavorful American lager. There's a 12'er in my fridge right now; I got bills to pay ok?

If Bud, Miller, and Coors are plain old horse piss, Pabst is what I imagine unicorn piss must taste like.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #40
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well I can say that I just had my first ever PBR. It's OK, much like any local lagered beer. Went great with my BBQ'd ribs.
Can't say that I noticed any difference from what I remembered Lone Star and Old Milwalkee to taste like, but it's been 25 years since I drank one of those ;-)

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply