Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Making Dark Candi Syrup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default Making Dark Candi Syrup

The online supplier I bought my Dubbel ingredients from doesn't have any Dark Candi Syrup (I wanted the regular Dark stuff...not the D2). So I'm gonna try to make my own. I've searched here and elsewhere and there's some info but it's often conflicting. So I've got a candy thermometer and I'm gonna give it a go. Any input/tips/caveats/help appreciated.

I plan to just start with cane sugar and water and heat it up. No acid...the D and D2 dark candi syrups do NOT use any acid at all...it's made from just refined beet sugar (sucrose).

I've read different things on these different candy temps but I'm still unsure. Apparently fructose caramelizes @ ~220o F and glucose and sucrose caramelize at higher temps (~300o F to 320o F to 340o F, sources don't agree) and then maltose at an even higher temp. But the temp some sources give for maltose caramelization is ABOVE the temp some sources say you have burnt sugar. WTF? Or you can just melt sugar ...darkened by how high you go. Apparently just sugar (no water) starts to caramelize at 338o F. Hard to make sense of all this.

I guess I'm mostly wondering how high temp should I expect to need to go? When I get up that high...has all the water evaporated and now it's just melted sugar? I'm assuming I'll have to add water back to make it a syrup at room temp...how much water I have no idea.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

You know, back before Santorio, or, Fahrenheit, or Celsius (or whoever really) invented the thermometer, people were boiling sugar and making candy and candi syrup without the aid of new fangled gadgets like that. They were going by the color of it, or at the worst putting a drop into ice water and watching it's reaction, whether it balled, or made strands.

They also used to boil their worts for as long as it took to walk across a field and back, if you read some of "Ye Olde Recipes."

And they still made beer.

So don't worry about it, it's not rocket science, it's basic cooking/candymaking 101, just boil it til you get to the color you want it to be...And it will be fine.

I didn't use a thermometer when I made mine.

Some things I've read advocate adding more water if it starts to get too thick and hasn't gotten to the color you want yet.

Have fun! But be careful, I got a few drops on me when I was adding it to my fermenter and I got burns on by hands that looked like someone touched a lit ciggy to them, from just a couple drops...One of them still shows a scar...That stuff is hot!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

fredthecat Likes This 
Old 02-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy. Yeah...I read all that in my searches.

Quote:
Some things I've read advocate adding more water if it starts to get too thick and hasn't gotten to the color you want yet.
That's what I read too...and when you add the water you drop the temp...not just because of the cooler water but because of the sugar content.

Quote:
...just boil it til you get to the color you want it to be...
Having never even SEEN dark candi syrup that's harder than it sounds. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of it in a clear jar would you?

Thanks for safety tip...I cooked in restaurants for over 15 years and have a number of scars to show for it. I can imagine that stuff burning...and sticking! Sounds like a grease burn...x2.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

According to more Beer Dark Candi is 80 srm...

If you scroll down on the malt wiki you will see it is black....

Malts Chart - Home Brewing Wiki

Also this might be helpful

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/f...andisyrups.jpg

It's too large a pic to post in here, but it is the bottles of the commercial ones...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Thanks. Weird how the D2 looks less dark than the regular D when you look at the neck of the bottle. I'm gonna assume that's misleading unless told otherwise.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
Thanks. Weird how the D2 looks less dark than the regular D when you look at the neck of the bottle. I'm gonna assume that's misleading unless told otherwise.
Yeah, I thought it was odd as well... I was just hoping for the SRMS of each of them, figuring the chart in the wiki would be clearer...

Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Well here's a pic of my dark candi syrup. There is also a blob of honey and molasses for comparison (my dark syrup is in-between in terms of color). I got up to almost 370o F and stopped there. It's a dark chesnut brown I guess...smells very 'buttery' for lack of a better word.

2# cane sugar
2 cups water
Heat to boil...boil until temp reaches at least 356o F then cut it before 370o F.
Then I slowly added water back into it (which boils immediately for a while). I added too much (2 more cups) and then had to boil it back down to the right consistency (which was @ about 228o F). That extra boil actually might have been a good thing...the pot and thermometer were mighty crusty with sugar schmegma but the extra boil dissolved it all back in...pure clear, clean syrup at the end.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Looks Awesome..and thanks for posting the pic, now we have a reference on here to refer other people to, when THEY ask the same question!!!! You've just contributed to our knowledgebank!

Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If it's agreed that that's how it should look, perhaps that image could be used in the wiki?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When you next make it, try adding some DAP (diammonium phosphate, other wise known as yeast nutrient).

Quick Reply